logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thecloudmediagroup  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:48:39 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Hi Everyone!

We are currently in the process of developing a few control surfaces that will exclusively control vMix. Our goal is to make a good quality control surface that is more affordable than other similar products. An important part of our development is tailoring the surface more towards vMix users and not to a wide variety of software. With that being said, we are looking for some feedback of what would be important to have within the control surface in your production setting. With that being said, here are some ideas that we are looking to implement into all/some of our control surfaces. Leave any comments and feedback and we will take it into consideration. Thank you!

-Seth

1. Program row of buttons
2. Preview row of buttons
3. Overlay row of buttons
4. Toggle button for multiple pages of overlays
5. T-Bar
6. Faders to control channel audio
7. vMix System Buttons (Record Toggle, Stream Toggle, External Toggle, Lock Toggle)
8. Transition Buttons
thanks 3 users thanked thecloudmediagroup for this useful post.
Adriankey4 on 8/12/2014(UTC), etruxo on 1/8/2015(UTC), al4video on 12/13/2016(UTC)
krassesPferd  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:22:32 AM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds great!

A kind of jog-wheel would be perfect. So you could scroll through a video's/highlight's (=video delay clip) timeline. Also three buttons for "mark in", "mark out", "reset in/out" would be very useful. this would make life easier for our highlight-operator

Regards,
Yannick
thecloudmediagroup  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 10:48:07 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

krassesPferd wrote:
Sounds great!

A kind of jog-wheel would be perfect. So you could scroll through a video's/highlight's (=video delay clip) timeline. Also three buttons for "mark in", "mark out", "reset in/out" would be very useful. this would make life easier for our highlight-operator

Regards,
Yannick

Great idea Yannick. We will work on integrating that into one of the surfaces. At what price point would a control surface that fits your needs be worth purchasing for you?
thecloudmediagroup  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 3:32:58 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Here is a preliminary design for a control surface.

Top Buttons:

1.Stream
2.Record Start/Stop
3.Overlay Channel 1
4.Overlay Channel 2
5.Overlay Channel 3
6.Overlay Channel 4

1st Row:
Overlay input on selected overlay channel

2nd Row:

Preview input select

3rd Row:
Program input select

Vertical 1-4 Buttons:

Select Transition 1-4

Yellow Buttons:

1.Mark In
2.Mark Out
3.Reset

Encoder:

Scrub Video

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thecloudmediagroup  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:38:29 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Our goal is to get as much user feedback as possible for the development of this board. Any feedback or comments are much appreciated. We want to know what would be important to you in a control surface. This could include buttons, placement, colors, workflow ect. Let us know how we can make the best control surface for vmix users!
krassesPferd  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:29:34 PM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It would also be great to have a fader to set the playback speed. This would make it easier to work with highlight-clips. In my opinion the fader should be placed next to the jog-wheel.
Also two buttons to go to next video-list-entry (with highlight-clips) would be comfortable. So you don't need your mouse or keyboard to go to the previous/next clip.

Regards,
Yannick
thecloudmediagroup  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 10:24:55 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

krassesPferd wrote:
It would also be great to have a fader to set the playback speed. This would make it easier to work with highlight-clips. In my opinion the fader should be placed next to the jog-wheel.
Also two buttons to go to next video-list-entry (with highlight-clips) would be comfortable. So you don't need your mouse or keyboard to go to the previous/next clip.

Regards,
Yannick

That's definitely doable.

How much of a benefit would it be to have audio faders to control the audio level of each channel?

We are contemplating creating a version of the board that would have flying faders that would change as you page through inputs on the board. This way all the audio levels could be done one the surface.
TVIason  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:52:27 AM(UTC)
TVIason

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Van you put program on the second bus en preview on the 3th. I think this way is more usefull en normalised in the industry.
thecloudmediagroup  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:04:47 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

TVIason wrote:
Van you put program on the second bus en preview on the 3th. I think this way is more usefull en normalised in the industry.

Definitely, I had the 2 switched in the drawings.
thecloudmediagroup  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:11:22 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

How many inputs do most users here use in an average vMix session? We are playing around with the idea of having the ability to page through input and having accompanying OLEDs above each channel to label the input. This would allow the board to be used with sessions where more than 8 inputs are being used.

Bardos  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:50:53 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
After all is done, can we have the software version.....that would be an asset when using 3 monitors, similar to blackmagic's ATEM system.... and if resizeable, that would be a plus....
thecloudmediagroup  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:27:34 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Bardos wrote:
After all is done, can we have the software version.....that would be an asset when using 3 monitors, similar to blackmagic's ATEM system.... and if resizeable, that would be a plus....

Yes! I'm can't guarantee it will be available at the very beginning, but a software version will be available as well.

Bardos  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:44:30 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

That is great...I could wait...I keep requesting such for a long time, but it seems that it is not important, but for us who do a lot of work with this type of setups know what it is to have that look and feel of a traditional switcher surface....and now with an undockable audio mixer, that frees up more real estate on the main monitor, and I could now place it on the third monitor....
thecloudmediagroup  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:20:43 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Would anyone be interested in buying an audio only control surface for vMix? After reading a lot of the audio discussion topics, audio control seems to be a big area of difficulty. Would this improve the workflow for anyone? We are looking at creating an interface with motorized faders with an led display above each channel indicating the associated channel. Thoughts?
dundurs  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:01:32 AM(UTC)
dundurs

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 22 post(s)
thecloudmediagroup wrote:
Would anyone be interested in buying an audio only control surface for vMix? After reading a lot of the audio discussion topics, audio control seems to be a big area of difficulty. Would this improve the workflow for anyone? We are looking at creating an interface with motorized faders with an led display above each channel indicating the associated channel. Thoughts?

I would buy it. Do you have the design ?
thecloudmediagroup  
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:09:50 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

dundurs wrote:

Give me a few and Ill get a mock up.
thecloudmediagroup  
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:32:56 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

dundurs wrote:

Here is a quick design I did. The buttons on the left would page through the inputs. The top screens would display the channel that the fader is controlling. The very right fader would be a master fader. The top button would be a mute button.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
richardgatarski  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:14:55 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
While this is a really interesting development, I am kind of curious about the communication between the control surface and vMix.

How often do you need to poll vMix for information about various settings (active input, audio levels, etc)?
I mean, there might be a risk that the polling clogs the network and/or affect vMix's performance. But I guess you can test that without building the hardware.
Bardos  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:29:44 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

I noticed that vMix no longer has a 3D look, and Martin said that will be the way for now he gave the reason, but I wish that a nice 3D GUI could be created....when I open my editor, and see those 3D controls, the GUI looks so appealing.....but I understand what Martin said, and even though I agree with him, maybe someone could work with him to develop a nice 3D look again.....
thecloudmediagroup  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 3:34:25 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Bardos wrote:

Here is a screenshot of the software panel that I have created. At this point we are considering a few options on how to implement the software panel. This would be either bundled with the control surface or sold as a product on its own. A couple different versions of the software may also be an option. The differences would be the addition of features, ie, audio faders/buttons, ect.

These graphics were taken from the look of the ATEM Software Panel and are only temporary until we develop our own GUI.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked thecloudmediagroup for this useful post.
Adriankey4 on 9/16/2014(UTC), al4video on 12/13/2016(UTC)