logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EvilAsh80  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 5:35:11 AM(UTC)
EvilAsh80

Groups: Registered
Norway

Hey, just need some advice from you guys. Im going to put together a streaming kit. I currently have a MacBook Pro 19” 2019 with four Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have been considering the AJA IO 4K Plus in combination with Wirecast. I don’t particularly like Wirecast though as Ive tried it sometimes in the past. And I understand that it is more CPU-demanding than vMix.

vMix looks really great though so another option could be to buy an AlienWare laptop with Thunderbolt 3 and put a Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro inside a StarTech Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Expansion:

https://www.multicom.no/...pansion/cat-p/c/p9772895

I can not get a hold of the Akitio LITE enclosure here where I live so Im hoping this StarTech enclosure will do just as fine.

I will mostly be streaming and recording ISO (3 or 4 inputs) in 1920x1080 but do you think the MacBook and Alienware laptop would be able to also do this in 4K if I should ever need to? It would be nice to have the option so I don’t have to upgrade later.

I first considered the Blackmagic Duo card but it is PCI generation 2 and I think that a faster performing PCI card (Generation 3) would be better in terms of speed and a safer option. The StarTech PCI Expansion is Gen 3 as well.

Any other laptops I should consider? I saw that the AlienWare laptop was recommended on the vMix site. Any comments on this is great.. is it noisy? Is it reliable? Is the GSYNC thing that important? I can now get a 15% discount on it if I order before the end of September. Cant wait to start putting this stuff together

So what do you experienced Vmix users recommend? :)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 8:28:54 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Not sure about the StarTech. You can get a Sonnet Echo Express from eBay UK for a reasonable shipping cost to Norway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonne...shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 11:20:10 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
The big disadvantage of choosing a Mac is their preference for AMD GPUs. vMix works best when you can leverage the hardware encoding found on nVidia GPUs. If you can't, it will need a lot more CPU.
Pepsi(~)  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 3:40:02 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I run on an Alienware Area 51m.
It has thunderbolt, but for additional GPU power i would use the alienware GPU enclosure, as were the thunderbolt will use 1 pci exprsess lane. To my knowledge will there be 4 lanes to the alienware enclosure.

Also the alienware has 3 drives. 2 are in a raid0 and 1 is a normal drive.

I run the application from the raidset. But if recording is needed I will put it on the hdd.

But keep in mind that the apple is portable. The alienware that I have is mobile, but with 7.5 kilo no fun to carry around.
EvilAsh80  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2022 12:18:06 AM(UTC)
EvilAsh80

Norway

Thanks, I chose an Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7, 16GB, 1TB and Geforce 2060-2080) Works like a charm!!!