logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mattford1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2024 3:50:38 AM(UTC)
mattford1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Firstly, I love Vmix! As someone that has worked in network television for 20+ years this is by far one of the best platforms I've seen for smaller shows (such as my YouTube show).

I use three Streamdecks running Stream Deck Companion to control Vmix. The issue is if you delete an input, the subsequent inputs renumber themselves, destroying button to input numbering in SteamDeck companion.

My Suggestion:

1. Input numbers do not automatically renumber upon deletion of an input.
2. An ability to numerically input a number for an input (rather than a dropdown).

This feature would allow users to reserve "blocks" of numbers for organizational purposes, ie. 1-10 Cameras, 11-21 Episode Clips, 51-31 Remote calls etc.

At present due to the numbering mechanism when you, say, select an input in the layers display, inputs are not organized in the list.

As I see it, this is the only major UI flaw in the product.

Thanks!
Matt
spinfold  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2024 9:28:37 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mattford1 Go to Quoted Post
Firstly, I love Vmix! As someone that has worked in network television for 20+ years this is by far one of the best platforms I've seen for smaller shows (such as my YouTube show).

I use three Streamdecks running Stream Deck Companion to control Vmix. The issue is if you delete an input, the subsequent inputs renumber themselves, destroying button to input numbering in SteamDeck companion.

My Suggestion:

1. Input numbers do not automatically renumber upon deletion of an input.
2. An ability to numerically input a number for an input (rather than a dropdown).

This feature would allow users to reserve "blocks" of numbers for organizational purposes, ie. 1-10 Cameras, 11-21 Episode Clips, 51-31 Remote calls etc.

At present due to the numbering mechanism when you, say, select an input in the layers display, inputs are not organized in the list.

As I see it, this is the only major UI flaw in the product.

Thanks!
Matt

The best way is to give each input meaningful names (I have have a system where any input which makes it to air on its own is CAPITALISED, and other inputs which play a part in eg layering or green rooms which should never be seen on air on their own in lower case). Then use those names in Companion rather than the numbers. That way you only have to reprogramme Companion if you rename anything.

There are only a very few places within vMix itself where input numbers have to be used, which is annoying.

For categorisation I use the colour blocks - so have all my cameras together in red, all my titles in blue, etc etc.
mattford1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2024 9:32:06 AM(UTC)
mattford1

United States

Wow I had no idea stream deck would do that. That totally solves it (until they address the numbering issue).

Thanks for the feedback excited to try it!
thanks 1 user thanked mattford1 for this useful post.
spinfold on 3/18/2024(UTC)
jet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2024 7:13:03 PM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
+1
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2024 8:15:32 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
+1

Would also help with Central Control when only an input number is referenced.

- Tom
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2024 12:44:42 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4160 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
The ability to use the Name of the inputs, is how to use an input uniquely. (along with the "Key" or GUID when using the API)

The numbers in vMix are sequential and fixed in order by design and will not be changeable unfortunately.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2024 12:45:22 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Unfortunately using the Name is sometimes insecure. For example, setting the Fullscreen via any of the API methods to an Input by its Name, is by vMix remembered by the Input's number. (Same thing when selecting an Input using the dropdown for Fullscreen in the Main UI.) If that Input is moved, the content of the Fullscreen Input will change.

Furthermore, Mix Inputs are sometimes only selectable by the Mix's sequential number. For example, if you have Mix 1, Mix 2, and Mix 3, moving the Mix 3 Input before any of the other ones might result in problems.