logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#101 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:32:28 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks,

admin wrote:
add the audio input from the desk as a separate input for monitoring purposes, but make sure
it is not set to send to the M or Master bus.

Not sure what "the desk" is ;)

And, if I send bus A out to the PC's sound card Line out, then what about "Monitor out" and "Headphones"? These should not go out to anything, or maybe a second/third PC audio out device/s for listening/monitoring.
As is now there is something called "Default". Is that Window's default speaker device (which defaults to Line/Speaker out for sound cards with only one audio output device.
peterphelan  
#102 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:29:37 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Not sure what "the desk" is ;)

I think he means the external mixer - mixing desk -:)

I too am a bit confused again now; only just got used to the idea of *not* adding my external mixer as an audio input in vMix! So went back to v12 over the weekend, now I have that working ok and it will do all I need for the moment.

Will have to leave further experiments in v13 since I'll be busy now all this week. But it all looks very promising and hats off again to Martin for his continuing and speedy work on the audio side of things.

Peter
admin  
#103 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:47:02 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:

And, if I send bus A out to the PC's sound card Line out, then what about "Monitor out" and "Headphones"? These should not go out to anything, or maybe a second/third PC audio out device/s for listening/monitoring.
As is now there is something called "Default". Is that Window's default speaker device (which defaults to Line/Speaker out for sound cards with only one audio output device.

Default is the Windows default audio output.

There are different ways you would use the new audio setup, depending on the number of audio outputs available in your computer.
You would still set the final output from the external mixer in vMix Settings -> Audio just as before.

One Audio Output

Use the "Master" bus only, and send the output to the external audio mixer. (Same as previous versions of vMix)
Set all audio outputs to Default.

All monitoring done from external audio mixer.

Two Audio Outputs

Master: Set to the second audio device which will be connected to the external audio mixer.
Headphones: Set to Default or first audio device.

Under this setup you can solo any input to monitor in headphones, without affecting the mix going to the audio mixer.

Three Audio Outputs

Identical to two Audio Outputs with the ability to send a separate mix to the audio mixer
through Bus A. In this setup you could distribute video inputs etc between the M bus and A busses.

Important Note

The "M" or "Master" bus is what is sent to "vMix Audio", so if you have the external mixer set as the recording
device instead, then it just becomes another bus like everything else.

admin  
#104 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:08:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

This should help:

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
peterphelan on 6/24/2014(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#105 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:00:06 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Sorry Martin, I am totally and utterly lost. (And it does not help that when I want to save a preset, the save browser starts in the folder from which I recently loaded a video, not the folder to which I previously saved a preset).

Please bear with us all. The new audio scheme is a major overhaul, with many suggestions, ideas, possibilites, and so forth. I am trying as hard as I can contributing and trying things out, in an effort to be constructive.

The below is all with v13.0.0.104

I have an external mixer. Channel 1 is from a microphone, channel 2 and 3 from the PC:s speaker out.
Main out from the external mixer is connected to the PC:s line in ("Microphone" input device in Windows).
And I would like to play video clips in vMix input, routing the audio out to the external mixer.
At this simple stage I don't care about monitoring in vMix, just get the audio recording working.

I have tried to follow your instructions, but I cannot figure out how to get it right.

admin wrote:

One Audio Output
Use the "Master" bus only, and send the output to the external audio mixer. (Same as previous versions of vMix)
Set all audio outputs to Default.
All monitoring done from external audio mixer.

I set all audio outputs to "Default" (Master output, Headphones, A and B).
I checked that Window's default audio out device is "...Speaker".
I added a Video player input (here called "Video").
I added an Audio input, using the device "Microphone (Realtek high definition audio)"
No audio delays set for anything.

Schematic A
Settings/Audio "Recording Audio" I set to "Microphone".
In vMix audio mixer "Microphone" has M/A/B all deselected.
In vMix audio mixer "Video" sends to M, but not A/B.
Input "Microphone" has Audio deselected (not green)..
Input "Video" has Audio selected (green).
Tests below while Recording (so I can monitor "Recording" in vMix's audio mixer").

* Test recording of external mike.
On external mixer Channel 1 leveled up, Channel 2 and 3 both down.
Sounds good in external mixer's headphone.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Recording jumps up slightly before Microphone's level meter as I speak.
Recorded sound is hearable, but terrible.

*Test recording of video played in vMix.
On external mixer Channel 1 leveled down, Channel 2 and 3 both up.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Recording behaves really strange.
Recorded sound is terrible (som kind of self suppression/echo).

Schematic B
Under Settings/Audio "Recording Audio" is changed to "vMix audio". (Schematic B)

* Test recording of external mike.
On external mixer Channel 1 leveled up, Channel 2 and 3 both down.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Microphone follows me speaking in mike
vMix audio mixer level meter for Recorder does not move.

*Test recording of video played in vMix.
On external mixer Channel 1 leveled down, Channel 2 and 3 both up.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Video looks nice.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Microphone behaves really strange.
vMix audio mixer level meter for Recording follows Video, does not matter how I mix on external mixer.
Recorded sound is appearantly not coming from the external mixer.

admin wrote:

Important Note
The "M" or "Master" bus is what is sent to "vMix Audio", so if you have the external mixer set as the recording
device instead, then it just becomes another bus like everything else.

Sorry, I cannot comprehend what you say. For example "have the external mixer set as the recording device"? What do you mean? Settings Audio/Recording Audio set to what?
ovinas  
#106 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:41:23 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Could you please explain what you want to achieve with your setup? Do you just want to bring in a microphone connected to your mixer to vMix for recording it along with videos played in vMix? Or is there an additional PA connected to the mixer?
Based on that information I could make a schematic with all the settings you need to do.
In case your PC has a microphone and a line input, please use the line input to bring in your mixer output. You should think of using a seperate (usb) audio device for inputs to the PC. For low budget something like a Behringer UCA202 is fine. When budget is not important go for a Focusrite Scarlett, Tascam, Steinberg, Lexicon.....
admin  
#107 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:25:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

As per the advanced setup, the Microphone input should only be added once, and that is in vMix settings under the Audio tab for Recording and Streaming.
If you add it to vMix as an input as well you are just going to get feedback loops.

EDIT: I see if you have only added it for monitoring with all busses disabled, which is fine.

The common issue I am seeing in the setup above is something wrong with the Microphone input, perhaps
a line in cable is plugged into the Microphone which won't work due to the balanced input it is expecting.
peterphelan  
#108 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:46:27 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Richard,

>>Sorry Martin, I am totally and utterly lost.<<

Yes I can sympathise; it's why I went back to version 12.0.0.131 for the moment. Ignoring Skype mix minus and my 203 ms audio delay added via the Shark etc. I just want to do much the same, which is pretty basic really. Have a mic for myself, then play various video and audio clips as required, fading in and out the audio as required. With everything controlled via my hardware mixer.

If you have this version, this is how I have the settings in vMix - after I discovered my mistake of adding the external mixer as an audio input.

1) Main Settings, Audio Output: (Direct Sound Speakers miditech Audioface) the USB sound card bringing computer stereo sound out to the external mixer. Goes into ch 7-8 on my 1002B

2) Main Settings, Recording Audio: Line in (which shows as another miditech but is actually the USB from the 502 external mixer) bringing in the UBS signal from the external mixer.

As mentioned earlier, I have two mixers (the 1002B is not USB) in order to provide the separate monitoring of my own delayed audio, but as far as vMix is concerned it only sees, the 520 USB for "in" and the separate miditech card for "out"

3) For simplicity, I play back my final vMix recordings on external speakers; connected to the computer speaker out in the normal way. And therefore set as the default playback device in Control Panel. The 502 mixer line in is set as the default in Windows.

This all "works" for me ( at last -:)-) so it may help to go back to basics and then transfer that setup to version 13 initially. But as you have discovered, the terminology is a little different. There is no longer the "audio out" under the main settings audio tab. We now have a separate "audio outputs" one; where al the options for Master Output, Headphones etc appear.

Hope this helps.
Peter
richardgatarski  
#109 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 4:26:49 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Martin,

Thanks for the kind support and directions. What I basically need to do is simply to use an external mixer to mix microphones attached to it, with (video) audio played out inside vMix. What I also would like to do is to see on the Master level meter what is received from the external mixer, before and during recording/streaming. A bonus would be if I also could listen what is received from the external mixer.

When I in my previous post wrote "Microphone input" that is what Windows describes it as. Actually that input is line level, and I can use it to record other things w/o problems (eg VidBlaster, and vMix v12). Compare Peter's "which shows as..."

For the moment I avoid USB audio devices (have such) because they introduce additional delay, and I need to figure out the basic stuff before I turn into delay matters ;)

So, I have an Asus Rampage IV Gene.

On the front panel there are
- Headset/Speaker out
- Mic in

On the rear panel there are for "Headset 4 channel":
- Line In
- Line Out
- Mic in
(and for "8 channel" Line in, Front speaker out, Mic in, Center/Subwoofer, Rear speaker out, Side speaker out)

In Realtek HD audio manager I checked (not via vMix) that simultaneously:
a) audio can be played out on Headset/Speaker out (front panel)
b) audio can be played out on Line out (rear panel)
c) audio can be recorded at Line In (rear panel)

Now, using an external mixer I would like to:
- Attach one microphone on Channel 1
- Connect Line out from PC to Channel 2 and 3
- Connect Main out from external mixer to Line in on PC

Please advice on how to set up necessary inputs/devices/mixer settings in vMix.
On a side note, regarding "Default"
admin wrote:

Two Audio Outputs
Master: Set to the second audio device which will be connected to the external audio mixer.
Headphones: Set to Default or first audio device.

First of all, I believe that "Default Windows playback device" is better, as one (me) otherwise might think of some vMix default thing.

Second, I wonder if there might be some situation where Windows default device is the same as the one set for Master output.

Third, in situation where one do not want to use headphones, bus A or bus A and B, I think it should be possible to specify "None" for these. And consequently those selected as non should not be shown in vMix's mixer.
admin  
#110 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:40:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Richard,

Looking back at your A and B tests they both look correct, so what I want to get to the bottom of is the audio issue.

1. Make sure Recording/Streaming in vMix Settings is set to your Microphone input as before.

2. Connect PC out to External Mixer

3. Play video clip in vMix and confirm audio signal is coming through correctly on external mixer.

4. Plug output from External Mixer into Microphone in.

5. Create a quick test recording in vMix to see what the audio sounds like.

If the audio is still sounding garbled, it might be best to upload a small sample video so I can hear what is going on.

I've got a new Beta update in the works with a variety of bug fixes, but nothing relating to audio quality, so if something
strange is going on, I would like to solve it as soon as possible.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
richardgatarski  
#111 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 3:25:58 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Sorry for not coming back earlier on this.

First of all, I am a happy guy :) Earlier today we premiered with our new jib during a live production. A nice step forward, looked wonderful!

Second, I figured out a lot of the audio stuff in vMix, so basically I can do what I wanted to do. I just love you Martin! (in a business sense ;)

I did what you asked me to do in the previous post. That sounded great.

Then I tried a couple of different things that I for various reasons have forgot by now. But I do remember the important points. First, it is crucial to restart vMix when changing audio settings. Second, the <b>basic trick</b> (for my use) is fivefold (at least on W7, have note tried with W8 yet). This way it works with only one output audio device, drawback I cannot monitor levels in vMix before recording is started.

1. set Master and Headphones to something else than Default, in my case Digital outputs (which I do not use).
2. set bus A to rear Speaker output
2. route the video Input player in vMix to bus A.
3. add an audio Input and route that to Master
4. set recording (and streaming) audio to vMix

After succeeding with this I got wild and crazy, ie went all the way (trying with headphones and soloing). Worked like a chaaaarm - before, during, and after recording.
Still have to looke into delays, but that is probably more tweaking and not a problem.

From the screenshot below (where Recording audio is set to vMix) it is quite appearant that the look is very complex. When live it is even worse, with a lot of meters jumping up and down. True, it is possible to collapse quite a few of the inputs/monitors. But even so, I will try to first get used to how things work. And then see how it might be simplified. But the point is that now I can mix audio externally, see and listen to what is actually happening in vMix in addition to listen at the external mixer.

Another thing is that I am even more convinced that (from other posts I have made):
- "Default" is misleading/vague when setting up audio devices
- vMix should tell the user that a re-start is necessary when it is

A couple of other things is that I don't know the meaning of "Deafault Audio bus", and that the pages in vMix's settings would benefit from a reorganization (eg one page for all audio related stuff.

UserPostedImage
thecloudmediagroup  
#112 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 6:55:59 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Martin,

I don't remember a response but what are the chances of getting ASIO support for inputs? Was there a licensing issue? Thanks so much for all you do!

-Seth
admin  
#113 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:07:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

richardgatarski wrote:

4. set recording (and streaming) audio to vMix

To solve the delay problem this will need to be set to your audio input device.
Otherwise you will have a delay added when adding it as an input.

You can still add it as an input, just need to make sure none of the busses are enabled. (M,A,B all set to grey)
admin  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:11:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

richardgatarski wrote:

Another thing is that I am even more convinced that (from other posts I have made):
- "Default" is misleading/vague when setting up audio devices
- vMix should tell the user that a re-start is necessary when it is

A couple of other things is that I don't know the meaning of "Deafault Audio bus", and that the pages in vMix's settings would benefit from a reorganization (eg one page for all audio related stuff.

Couple of notes:

1. All settings in vMix Settings should be assumed to require a restart. There are only a handful of small settings
that work without restarting, these are changing the aspect ratio and configuring the outputs under the Outputs tab.

2. Default Audio Bus is the bus to enable (to turn green) on an input by default. So under your setup you would set this to A
since all your video clips etc are being routed to the external mixer over this bus.

admin  
#115 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 1:20:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

As I see a lot of users testing the new audio setup and trying different options I need
to repeat myself and make something absolutely clear.

If you will be sending any kind of audio out from vMix to an external mixer, the setting below MUST BE CHANGED
to your sound card input.

There will be feedback and delay issues if this setting is not changed from vMix Audio.

UserPostedImage

This will save you a lot of time and frustration.

So please test this under the correct setup so we can resolve issues there.

Thanks!
ClementN  
#116 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:08:47 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
admin wrote:
As I see a lot of users testing the new audio setup and trying different options I need
to repeat myself and make something absolutely clear.

If you will be sending any kind of audio out from vMix to an external mixer, the setting below MUST BE CHANGED
to your sound card input.

I do not want to add more confusion but I succeeded to use the new audio engine without setting the Recording Audio directly to the sound card and keeping the vMixAudio there .
( as you already know, we need to record the Master and this is not always what comes from the external mixer.. sometimes we need to mute the external mixer for the livestream).
I succeeded to do it that way by adding "negative delay" in some places.

If anyone interested I can put the entire configuration here.. If not.. I'll not bring even more confusion :)
admin  
#117 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:40:00 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

ClementN wrote:

I do not want to add more confusion but I succeeded to use the new audio engine without setting the Recording Audio directly to the sound card and keeping the vMixAudio there .
( as you already know, we need to record the Master and this is not always what comes from the external mixer.. sometimes we need to mute the external mixer for the livestream).

Your particular setup is a rare exception as you don't need to send audio from things like Stream input to the mixer.
If all you are sending is video clips, then that is fine as you can set a negative delay for those to compensate.

ClementN on 7/1/2014(UTC)
ClementN  
#118 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:05:31 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
admin wrote:
ClementN wrote:

Your particular setup is a rare exception as you don't need to send audio from things like Stream input to the mixer.
If all you are sending is video clips, then that is fine as you can set a negative delay for those to compensate.

Hmm.. In fact we do need to send inputs like Stream to the external mixer..
But only tested with Video and didn't know that it will not work for other Modules ( I asked in a previous post about th availability of "negative audio delay" but probably you missed it : ) )

So, the "negative audio delay" isn't available for all modules ?

Here are my questions from a previous post:

ClementN wrote:

But please confirm me the following info :

1. the negative delay is accepted and executed anytime we have an option for audio delay ( modules audio delay, general settings, outputs etc)

2. the "Default Input Audio Delay" from the "Audio" tab in Settings is applied to all input modules having audio ( ex. video, rtmp ) and not only to the "Audio Input" modules.
admin  
#119 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:19:29 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Negative audio delay is only available for inputs where we have access to future video in order to synchronise properly.
So, without access to a Time Machine this leaves only video file and audio file inputs.

Stream, Audio Input and Camera cannot have negative delays.
ClementN on 7/1/2014(UTC)
admin  
#120 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:31:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Latest update has been posted to the Beta thread:

http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&m=10556#post10556

Many audio updates and fixes based on feedback in this thread.

The labelling of things has been made clearer and there is a None audio output option now.
Which is now the default for A and B.

thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
peterphelan on 7/1/2014(UTC), ClementN on 7/1/2014(UTC)