logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<34567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ClementN  
#81 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 1:41:42 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Groups: Registered
Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
admin wrote:
ClementN wrote:

We need to have the external audio in as an audio input because we need to be able to automatically (triggers) switch on and off the external audio in different moments of the show.

Could you explain in more detail what you mean by this?
Since the audio mixer will be controlling this input, surely you can mute sources as required there?

Please allow me first to tell a few words about us. We call ourself "flexiLIVE" as we do live production in a lot of various situations ( we do business events lke big conferences, special projects like urban man hunting or tv shows produced at difefrent locations). We don't have a general scenario.
An important thing.. Sometimes, our decisions, approaces and set-ups are driven by business resons and not always they are the ideal approach from the tech point of view.
In my previous comment I was refering to talk show live production we do. For those shows we had to deliver the complete show without any further editing right after it is finished.

This is why during some parts of the show we have to mute the mics ( ex: during the intro, during some of the video clips, during breaks).
We do that automatically using triggers.

Of course we can do it manually but why do that and mute them from the external mixer when we just can do it automatically from within vMix?

For example, we have the following tv show start sequance ( automated by just hitting the F1 and F2 keys ):

F1
=====
1. Mute (audio off) the main autio in module ( the one with the mics)
2. Clear all overlays
3. Cut a video loop (video module with titles overlay)
3. Start an ambiental music ( audio module )
4. Start the live streaming
======================

We do that with 15 minutes before show starts

At this moment, we can do all the audio (or video) adjustments we need without disturbing the livestream.
The livestream audience only see the video loop telling them the show will start in a few minutes and hear the ambiental music.

When the time comes to really start teh show we hit

F2
======
(on transition in)
1. Stop the audio module ( ambiental music )
2. Cut the Intro video (with sound)
3. Start the recording
(on completion)
4. Cut the host camera for the welcome speach
5. Start the mics sound ( the audio in module )
6. Put the overlays ( show logo and initial title)

We have some similar scenes during the show and finish it in reverse order

Esc
=========

1. Remove the overlays
2. Transition to the Outro-credits ( with sound)
3. Switch off the mics ( main audio in module)
4. Fade to black
5. Stop the recording
6. Stop the livestream

At this point we are ready to deliver the show to the customer

So, in conclusion, we'll be happy to be able to control the audio from an external mixer for unexpected situations (adjust sound level) but we still want to benefit from the automation features.

peterphelan wrote:

No offence intended, so hope this comment will be treated as constructive, but this just seems "nuts" to me -:) You can achieve the result much more effectively and automatically by using a Gate. So as I said earlier, are you now going have yet more sliders in vMix to adjust threshold, pre-open, attack, hold and release times! And all via a mouse!

None taken :) I really appreciate the discussions here as it can bring brilliant solutions to our problems and also a daily improved vMix .

So, we'll always use external for audio as long as this will be possible.
Until now, for some modules ( skype desktop capure, video clips, rtmp in ) we had to work with the "mouse" or "keyboard" because they are vMix modules.

This is the kind of scenario I was commented on.

Imagine 2 desktop capture with sound from a Skype discution during a show with several person at the venue and 2 persons trough Skype.
Each Skype person say something from time to time. Between their interventions, they are doing different actions that we have to react at ( saying something to their children, or talking on the phone with another person, or writting something at the keyboard making a lot of noise).
This is the kind of sound you can not handle by a Gate. You simply have to react and switch off their sound.
You do this from the input module as it is not economically justified to have a sound person to each Skype laptop.

Anyway, from now one, with Martins improvments (adding the buses) it will be possible to unload a lot of audio from vMix and get it trough external. Thank you, Martin :)

P.S. - Have fun, Richard! :)

thecloudmediagroup  
#82 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 5:11:52 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
New audio engine works great! The pop out audio window is such a nice feature. Well done!
krassesPferd  
#83 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:06:40 AM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The new audio engine is perfect! I like the two seperate audio outputs.

But I'm still having a problem with audio:
Is there any chance to get audio in the video delay clips? It would be perfect to have a dropdown in the Video-Delay-(Add Input)-settings. So you could choose audio directly from the camera or an external microphone.

Best Regards,
Yannick
ClementN  
#84 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:23:32 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Testing the new 13.0.0.99

The new audio system is working as adviced.
There is even a great surprise: the audio pannel remember the settings and start open. Thank you very much, Martin!
I'll continue the tests and be back if anything.
ClementN  
#85 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 10:57:20 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Feedback 01 for 13.0.0.99 ( I post one problem at a time while I discover them).

.ts file playback

I am not sure if this is a problem only for this version but it seems vMix do not recognize the audio from the .ts files it records .
I am able to add video module with a .ts file but it comes with no sound ( meaning the module doesn't have the audio metter and the "Audio" button can not be activated).

The same .ts files can be played with sound in Windows player.
admin  
#86 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:13:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
AC3Filter is needed for TS audio playback:

http://www.vmix.com.au/k...ain-video-files-and-dvds
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
ClementN on 6/21/2014(UTC)
ClementN  
#87 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:23:34 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Feedback 02 for 13.0.0.99

Audio delays

I confirm the problem ( not a bug ) with the audio delays when using Audio module for main audio in.

If we get the audio out from a video module trough bus A to an external mixer and then get back the sound into the vMix trough an Audio in module, there is a delay for the sound .
As Martin explained earlier, this delay is automatically inserted in order to keep in sync the cameras and the external sound.

Still this is a problem for us if we want to do the following :

a) get the external mic audio from an external mixer trough an Audio module
b) bring the video modules out trough bus A to the external mixer in order to handle there the level
c) get back the video module audio from the external mixer trough the same Audio module (or other audio module)

Anyway, in short it is a problem if you want to get the audio out to an external mixer ( using buses) and then get back the sound trough an Audio Module.

As a solution, maybe it is possible to implement a delay for the video in some modules using video and audio ( video, desktop capture, RTMP ) and have the video delayed with the same amount as it is the audio delayed in the Audio in module.

Thank you,
Clement
admin  
#88 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 11:50:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The solution is to set the audio input from the mixer in the vMix Settings under the Audio tab as the recording/streaming source.
See the advanced option here:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help12/RecordingAudio.html
ovinas  
#89 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:13:00 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
So far all is working fine.
Great thanks to Martin for these fantastic options. This is a big push forward for audio handling.
ClementN  
#90 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:12:04 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

admin wrote:
The solution is to set the audio input from the mixer in the vMix Settings under the Audio tab as the recording/streaming source.
See the advanced option here:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help12/RecordingAudio.html

It's Friday night but I do not give up. Still testing and I think I did it .. :)
Everything is possible with vMix now.
My missing link was the info that we can use negative delays.

From my tests it seems everything is perfectly right now..

But please confirm me the following info :

1. the negative delay is accepted and executed anytime we have an option for audio delay ( modules audio delay, general settings, outputs etc)

2. the "Default Input Audio Delay" from the "Audio" tab in Settings is applied to all input modules having audio ( ex. video, rtmp ) and not only to the "Audio Input" modules.

ovinas  
#91 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:43:43 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Awesome! vMix can listen to the future! That's a game changer... But to be serious, something other has to be delayed for this. In case of an input with a video file, the video will be delayed against the audio. It only seems like a negative delay but in reality it isn't.
ClementN  
#92 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 4:47:23 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

ovinas wrote:
Awesome! vMix can listen to the future! That's a game changer... But to be serious, something other has to be delayed for this. In case of an input with a video file, the video will be delayed against the audio. It only seems like a negative delay but in reality it isn't.

:)

Yes.. But is it there a such delay for video input ? (negative delay or video delay.. whatever we name it)
admin  
#93 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:55:04 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I've posted an update to the main Beta thread for 13.0.0.104
The link above for .99 has been removed.

http://forums.vmix.com.a...ts&m=10393#post10393
ClementN on 6/23/2014(UTC)
ClementN  
#94 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 5:49:29 PM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Martin,

Right now we can add vMix Audio as an Audio Input ?

Is it possible to let us add as an Audio Input module also the following:

a) vMix Audio Headphones

b) vMix Audio Bus A

c) vMix Audio Bus B

In fact, our need at this moment is for vMix Audio Headphones but I think once this option is there it will be a good option to have them all.

Thank you,
admin  
#95 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 10:32:55 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Could you explain why you would need to add them?
That would just introduce a feedback loop. You already see the levels for Bus A and B so it can't be for that?
ClementN  
#96 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:26:48 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Hello Martin,

I always tried to use vMix beyound its limits :)

Now, we will use it for Intercom, too.

So, on the camera operator we have a hdmi monitor with Headset ( http://www.amazon.com/Wo...or-Monitor/dp/B00I9AFEKE )

On that monitor the operator will see what is recorded. And want to hear BOTH the audio monitoring AND the BUS B .

Into the Bus B we'll route the computer Mic AND the cameras mics ( we don't use sound from the cameras in our recording).

So, when the camera operator wants to say something to the mixing director he will talk into the camera mic.
When the director wants to tell something he will talk to the computer mic.

All those mics will be added to BUS B which will set the OUTPUT to the hdmi out (the Fullscreen going to the cam operators monitors) and anyone will hear anyone.

But also, we like them to hear the "vMix Headphones" and this is why we like to add "vMix Headphones" as an Audio Module going to same BUS B.

We even plan to controll all those things from shortcuts ( when operators hear the "vMix Headphones" and when they hear only their voices, we can even mute camera sounds per our needs).

So, at the end, we'll have all camera operators seeing the output, hearing it and, most important, with bi-directional communication.

To go further, I'll squize another detail here .. It will be great if we'll be able to "Solo" inputs from shortcuts .. We'll go even forward with automation.

What do you think ?
ClementN  
#97 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:08:56 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

P.S. - The system is working anyway as it is in .104 with the following 2 issues still to be solved

a) a way to let camera operators hear the Headphones instead of "vMix Audio"

b) a way to route BUS B ( operators voices ) over the Headphones output so the mixing director to listen to the Headphones but also hear when an operator say something
( at this very moment it can be done by playing with "Solo" but it is not the best solution as we can not automate the "Solo" triggering)
ClementN  
#98 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:18:49 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

P.S. 2 - Of course everything will be even better if there will be an added bus called "Intercom" cutsomised just for that per the previous routing :) :)
richardgatarski  
#99 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:22:08 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Good Monday!

Testing now with 13.0.0.104

Possible audio bug for List input with videos, it's audio is routed to M, A and B, not possible to change.

Then I am somewhat confused with all the new possibilites, and terminology. For example, what is actually "vMix audio" inside vMix (e.g. in relation to the Master).

So, I want to use an external mixer with three audio sources:

1. External microphone
Eeasy part, I just plug the mike into the external mixer, say Channel 1.

2. Audio from video clips in vMix
I guess I define an output audio device (eg Line out) for bus A, and make sure that the audio output from that Input is going to bus A only.

3. Audio form external laptop
Hopefully easy, just plug the audio from the laptop into the external mixer, say channel 3 and 4.

Next step is to take main out from the external mixer into Line input of the PC.

Here comes the tricky parts.

What should be set as Recording audio in Settings/Audio?
(Do I need to add an Input, Audio input)

What should be set as Master output and Headphones in Settings/Audio?
(e.g. one or two additional Windows audio output devices)

admin  
#100 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:23:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

vMix Audio is the "Master Mix" containing a mix of all sources in vMix set to M.

Setup wise, everything is still the same as the "advanced" setup in the help file, except now you can split
off more than one output into your mixer, M, A and B.

You can also now add the audio input from the desk as a separate input for monitoring purposes, but make sure
it is not set to send to the M or Master bus.

peterphelan on 6/24/2014(UTC)