logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhebbel  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:59:51 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Yea those specs should be plenty especially since you are doing most encoding on the capture card, I would disregard the comments about changing your output solution and focus on possibly a BM Duo or Quad assuming they do have the option to sync clocks as suggested. Keep in mind that to achieve true equal line latency at the other end of your output is going to require some strict hardware tolerances as well, even down to the cable choice can make the difference between a couple lines.
Ittaidv  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:46:46 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I just saw we have a decklink sdi card laying around, which has black burst reference input. Would this be usable in some way?
jhebbel  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:59:57 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Ittaidv wrote:
I just saw we have a decklink sdi card laying around, which has black burst reference input. Would this be usable in some way?

That will do it, it either needs to be a dual input (or better) or you need another matching card. I believe it was mentioned by someone that your current mini cards do not support this.
Ittaidv  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:05:05 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

but is this used to sync outputs, or inputs?.

The decklink sdi's are super cheap second hand. If i buy a second one on top of the one we already have, and can sync the outputs together, they could replace the mini monitors, and i would have spent 100 bucks :)
Mathijs  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:09:39 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Also, the decklink quad is not capable of inputting and outputting on the same channel at the same time. It is not full duplex.
So you have 4 input or output cards, free to choose which one does what.
So if you assign 2 as output, you only have 2 channels left.

There also is a decklink quad 2 that can either input or output 8 channels, with external sync.
This card is not available yet but should be any time soon.

Let me check the duo for you if I get some time somewhere the coming days.
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 1/19/2016(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:32:36 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Thanks a lot Mathijs!

We already have the YUAN to take care of the inputs, and still 3 pci express slots open for whatever output cards we want to have. so normally we would only use a quad for output, provided we can sync them.

I did read on the internet some reports of people using them with caspar cg, who also could not sync any blackmagic cards, unless the 3d versions who have an internal clock. Off course the 3d versions now are 4k only (expensive) and the old HD versions are nowhere to be found anymore :)

I also just looked at those AJA cards, and found 1500- 2000 euro a bit much to spend on a capture card, unless off course there would be no other way, it's pro broadcast we're entering, so i guess spending money is a consequence :)

Anyway, what we have now on our shelves is :

- 3 x intensity pro
- 4 x mini recorder
- 2 x mini monitor
- 1 x YUAN quad sdi (sc5c0n4)
- 1 x decklink sdi
- 2 x intensity 4k
- 1 x cheap startech hdmi capture card

So yeah, if we can do it with what we have, we would be happy, but otherwise we spend whatever is necessary ;)
Ittaidv  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:35:50 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

richardgatarski wrote:
AFAIK they Fullscreens are in sync (and require little extra CPU power).
Try with two monitors, and record them with a camera, load the recording into a video editor and check.
(Fullscreen lag a few frames behind the real thing, but its video is in sync with its audio. The slight delay does not matter for the OB guys, cause they are off the real thing in any case).

I tried it, and indeed they are running in perfect sync, thanks! However, our gtx 950 is having only 1 hdmi output, and another displayport that needs to be converted to hdmi first. After that we have some cheap hdmi to sdi converters of 35$ running, and it's those that i don't really trust.

We used them until now in our setup, because we didn't really care about 1 frame difference, but now that it becomes so critical, I'm not sure they will deliver. Changing them for 'pro' converters will cost us almost the same as an AJA card.

Where vmix can tell us how many frames were dropped on the external output, in case of any, the displays we have no info at all about this. In case we don't find another solution, I will go for this, but I'd rather have some way of monitoring in case it goes wrong :)
Ittaidv  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:14:46 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

jhebbel wrote:
Ittaidv wrote:

That will do it, it either needs to be a dual input (or better) or you need another matching card. I believe it was mentioned by someone that your current mini cards do not support this.

Any idea how this would work? I never worked with any genlocking technology before :)

As far as I could understand:

If i have:
- 2 x decklink sdi with reference input (need to buy 1 more, but they're cheap on ebay)
- 1 x Blackmagic Design Sync Generator

Then i feed the sync generator into the ref. in of the decklink sdi's, and the outputs should be synced, right?

If this would work, it would be a cheap solution, costing 300-350 euro.. would be the best!
Ittaidv  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:13:09 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Sorry to spam my own topic, but so many questions.. Wish I had built up some broadcast experience in the 'traditional' sector before starting a broadcast company with vmix and a few gopro's lol :) Now I got to figure out everything from zero..

Anyway..

I just saw that prices on the Kona3 from AJA are also very low, you can get those cards with the breakout box for 250 euro, which is dirtcheap.

The only difference between kona 3 and 3g would be an added hdmi 1.4 port, according to google. And.. Vmix seems to support the 3g.

Since Martin mentioned that AJA has an internal clock on their capture cards, this might be a good deal?

Also, the manual mentions this:

If you have a sync generator or central
piece of video equipment to use for synchronizing other video equipment in your
studio, then connect its analog composite output to the KONA 3 reference input.
When KONA 3 outputs video it uses this reference signal to lock to. When
connecting a reference video source, the locking signal should be the same format in
Hz (1080i29.97, 625i25, etc.) as the Primary format selected in the KONA 3
Control Panel. It is possible in some circumstances to use an alternate format video
signal as long as the basic frame rate is compatible (for example, using a 525i29.97
genlock signal to lock a system running 1080i29.97)—if the Hz coincide.

Am i on the right track here?
jhebbel  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:16:01 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Just to clarify everything before we go further, it is your INPUTS that are out of sync, your outputs only show out of sync because the inputs appear to be. So lets not put the cart before the horse and make sure that we get your inputs synced first. Just an FYI for when you get to setting up the outputs, a displayPort to HDMI adapter MAY add a couple ms latency especially if it is an active adapter and not passive.
thanks 1 user thanked jhebbel for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 1/19/2016(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:59:41 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

jhebbel wrote:
Just to clarify everything before we go further, it is your INPUTS that are out of sync, your outputs only show out of sync because the inputs appear to be. So lets not put the cart before the horse and make sure that we get your inputs synced first. Just an FYI for when you get to setting up the outputs, a displayPort to HDMI adapter MAY add a couple ms latency especially if it is an active adapter and not passive.

Allright, this clarifies already something :) I thought it wasn't the inputs, because 1 external output dropped frames, while the other one didn't and both had the same camera as an input. But, we are using very cheap hdmi>sdi converters to feed the inputs, so that could clarify a lot..

Anyway, would that mean i would have to swap out the yuan card for something that supports an external clock? A decklink quad for example?

Our displayport to hdmi adapter is a passive one, but i prefer to go this route as a last resort. It will look messy to our client, with all those converters, and there will be no way for us to tell if we are dropping frames, unless getting an angry phonecall from the OB truck. I prefer to have everything under control and see some statistics in front of me :)
Mathijs  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:44:01 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Your inputs might be out of sync within one frame because they are freerunning, but that is not your problem.
So stay focused on the outputs.
If you put external sync on your inputs, you also need to put external sync on your camera's otherwise it won't work.

If the same source is showing difference on the outputs, it cannot be the input that is to blame.
jhebbel  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:23:06 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Mathijs wrote:
Your inputs might be out of sync within one frame because they are freerunning, but that is not your problem.
If you put external sync on your inputs, you also need to put external sync on your camera's otherwise it won't work.

If the same source is showing difference on the outputs, it cannot be the input that is to blame.

What am i missing here? from the original picture he posted it seems clear that one input is clearly behind the other. why start worrying about outputs if the input are out of sync to begin with thus throwing everything else down the line out of sync?
Ittaidv  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:55:36 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

I did another test tonight, just using 1 video and playing it back on the vmix machine. This one video then was used to feed external 1 via the vmix program output and external 2 as an input.
No camera's were used as an input, the only input was this video. I arrived at 5%cpu for vmix and around 10 ms.

Still, i dropped 25 frames on external 2 and 8 frames on external 1, both were due to 'source frame rate'.

This is looking strange to me, since our machine can for sure handle 1 video input, and again one output dropped more frames then the other one. I see no reason why frames were dropped, since the video was perfectly ok.

I sent the outputs to another vmix machine, and took a screenshots. Both outputs looked like they showed the exact same frame, and like no frames were dropped at all.

To me it looks like something weird is going on, since there is no reason for dropped frames, and there is a difference in the amount of frames each output drops. If both outputs would drop the same frames in this scenario, i would be able to believe it's really due to source framerate, but now, i'm clueless.

Ittaidv  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:58:25 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Mathijs wrote:

Indeed I think it's better to focus on the outputs, since there is a difference in the amount of frames they drop. If the input camera would drop a few frames, and both outputs would be synchronised, they would both drop the same frame, and there would be no problem in the ob truck, since everything would still be sync. Also, it will be impossible anyway to genlock all inputs, since the fs700 doesn't have any genlock anyway.
admin  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:46:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4172 time(s) in 1498 post(s)
Ittaidv,

Sorry I have been unable to reply much on this.
Some notes below:

* What is the render time like in vMix when running the two outputs? Maybe the graphics card is having trouble keeping up.
For example, all outputs are processed every frame so if the graphics card runs out of time, the frame drops may only impact the second output.

* The driver itself could be playing up, blackmagic cards tend to prefer certain motherboards and PCI Express slots.

* The Kona 3 uses an obsolete SDK and won't work with vMix unfortunately. If you can get a hold of a Kona 3G temporarily
you might find it solves some of the problem as the 3G model is single clocked for the outputs.

* As others mentioned, genlock is a setup where all cameras are connected to a single timing source so when they capture a frame on the sensor
it is timed to exactly match the other cameras. The FS700 best I can tell does not have a genlock port (genlock is wired up separately and in addition to SDI)
Doesn't matter anyway as vMix does not use genlock. (like most video switchers in this price range)

Without genlock, one camera can be from 1 field to 1 frame different from another anyway, regardless of video switcher used so keep that in mind.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
jhebbel  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:35:11 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Does it really matter if frames are dropped on the output so long as the feeds are synced? That's what a dropped frame is, a frame that is skipped in order to ensure the timecode is respected above all else. Also are all of your frame rates matched across the board from source to destination?
Ittaidv  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:24:54 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Indeed, I don't think it matters if a frame is dropped. As long as everything is synced. In the first tests, one output was lagging a frame behind the other, and that's what got me worried.

Besides that, I really have no clue on what is acceptable for them. I know the guys are very strict about everything, so I want to make a good impression and do it 'right' for them.

I had a bachelor degree in journalism where we touched the tv studio a bit, but apart from that I don't have the slightest idea about how the 'real guys' run their thing. All I learned is from google, forums and by trying it out :) Still we manage to get far with our self built setup and vmix, which proves you don't always need the traditional broadcast educations to get into the business. That's what I love about vmix so much: you can start simple and learn on the go :)

To illustrate: yesterday I had to find out how genlock and blackburst work, I heard about it, and that's it.

Ittaidv  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:42:36 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

admin wrote:
Ittaidv,

Sorry I have been unable to reply much on this.
Some notes below:

* What is the render time like in vMix when running the two outputs? Maybe the graphics card is having trouble keeping up.
For example, all outputs are processed every frame so if the graphics card runs out of time, the frame drops may only impact the second output.

* The driver itself could be playing up, blackmagic cards tend to prefer certain motherboards and PCI Express slots.

* The Kona 3 uses an obsolete SDK and won't work with vMix unfortunately. If you can get a hold of a Kona 3G temporarily
you might find it solves some of the problem as the 3G model is single clocked for the outputs.

* As others mentioned, genlock is a setup where all cameras are connected to a single timing source so when they capture a frame on the sensor
it is timed to exactly match the other cameras. The FS700 best I can tell does not have a genlock port (genlock is wired up separately and in addition to SDI)
Doesn't matter anyway as vMix does not use genlock. (like most video switchers in this price range)

Without genlock, one camera can be from 1 field to 1 frame different from another anyway, regardless of video switcher used so keep that in mind.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

* Render time: 10- 12 ms, with a single video played. With 2 video inputs it's about the same.

Latency of the mini monitors: 20-40ms

I will now start experimenting by putting hardware acceleration and stuff on and off, and see if it makes a difference. also I will install all drivers again.

* The motherboard should be allright I guess, we use it already for some time. For example during New Year, we recorded + streamed an event with 5 HD cams for 15 hours where we had less then 10 dropped frames over the course of the night on the recording.

* I already dropped the idea of the Kona 3, because I found a post with someone from AJA saying it's not supported. Maybeye I will put a feature request, because you can find these second hand at 250 euro including the breakout box nowadays, giving you 4 HD in or outputs. People are throwing them at you on ebay and marketplaces, because many software packages don't support it anymore, while it's super nice hardware, even after being 6 years old :) Might be a good starter card for many who want to get cheaply into broadcast and vmix!

*FS700 indeed doesn't have genlock, but anyway, it's not the inputs that matter here I think.

Mathijs  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:55:27 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

@jhebbel: I understand what you were saying now, and you are right. My apologies ;)
As the inputs are also freerunning, you cannot use them to measure the difference on the outputs.

Ittaidv, better connect 2 monitors to the decklink with the converters you have and take a picture of the bbc timer on both screens. (cheapness of those converters doesn't matter, I also use cheap chinese converters and they work or they don't. If the cable is ok there are no problems there)