logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eazuka  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:24:02 AM(UTC)
eazuka

Groups: Registered

Hello people.

I am new to vMix so pardon my ignorance if such topics has already been covered but my search so far didn't turn up anything.

I know vMix isn't a real 3d engine so real time augmented reality isn't possible. But i think their should be a way of creating some form of augmented reality (illusion) with layers making it seem like the augmented graphics are projected in the (virtual) studio and zoom in/out works with the augmented layer, hence my questions below:

In the virtual set setup, there are various layers (about 4 i think) like: background, talent, screen. Are those the only layers that could be map to a virtual set? If not, how can/do i create more area to map more things like transperent graphics/videos to?

Is it possible to map graphics to a virtual studio floor so that when the mapped graphic is shown/play, it gives the illusion of Augmented reality?

I will very much appreciate creative response/suggestions

Thanks

Chris
eazuka attached the following image(s):
augmented layer.PNG (376kb) downloaded 51 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:41:48 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi Chris,
True, you can have a background (not transparent) and four additional layers. But you can only zoom In/Out all of it combined (all layers are zoomed together).

I am not sure about what you mean by "augmented reality" in this case. Pls provide a video example.

Have you considered using an Input (eg. a camera, or the image of a floor), and use MultiView (tab on the input's setting cog wheel) to add the graphics? If you then use that Input as a layer in the Virtual set, it will be zoomed together with the rest.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
eazuka on 5/22/2015(UTC)
eazuka  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:02:17 PM(UTC)
eazuka

richardgatarski wrote:
Hi Chris,
True, you can have a background (not transparent) and four additional layers. But you can only zoom In/Out all of it combined (all layers are zoomed together).

I am not sure about what you mean by "augmented reality" in this case. Pls provide a video example.

Have you considered using an Input (eg. a camera, or the image of a floor), and use MultiView (tab on the input's setting cog wheel) to add the graphics? If you then use that Input as a layer in the Virtual set, it will be zoomed together with the rest.

Hi richardgatarski,

Thanks for your feedback. Here is a link: http://blog.newtek.com/a...caster-advanced-edition/
scroll down a bit, you'll see a video. play it, the first few minutes shows example of what i'll like to accomplish.

richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:11:40 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I am pretty sure you can do that. Either by adding the graphics (eg the Twitter example) as a layer in the Virtual set. Or, as I suggested, add the graphics to an input that is then used as a layer in the Virtual set.
Of course you have to adjust size, position and X/Y/Z rotation in order to align it with the rest of the material.

Note that in addition to zoom level in an any of the four "angles" you can also rotate the "angle". It's kind of tricky, but possible ;)

Good luck!
eazuka on 5/22/2015(UTC)
eazuka  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:26:39 PM(UTC)
eazuka

richardgatarski wrote:
I am pretty sure you can do that. Either by adding the graphics (eg the Twitter example) as a layer in the Virtual set. Or, as I suggested, add the graphics to an input that is then used as a layer in the Virtual set.
Of course you have to adjust size, position and X/Y/Z rotation in order to align it with the rest of the material.

Note that in addition to zoom level in an any of the four "angles" you can also rotate the "angle". It's kind of tricky, but possible ;)

Good luck!

Thanks richardgatarski,

I know the twitter bit can be done. but the floor one, how possible is that?

richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:17:30 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Either by creating a video with alpha channel (eg render it in After Effects), and add it. Or a video source (file, dynamic generator) and chroma key it in.

Or, if you have a black floor just make the video with a black background. You must probably leave a lot of headroom (black/transparent), that is making the video frame size bigger than the actual graphics you will use, in order to take care of perspecive frame loss when you rotate the video.
eazuka on 5/22/2015(UTC)
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:28:41 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ eazuka

Certainty a lot of what you present is possible, but "pulling it off realistically" is the biggest challenge.
TriCaster has invested heavily into their 'virtual set' technology and have preconfigured their 'engines' to do a most of the figuring out for you. (And hence why you have to spend significantly more for their stuff)
To accomplish similar results with vMix, you will likely have to spend a significant amount of time to set it all up and tweek things manually to get it to "look" the way you want.
You may even want to try your hand at designing, 'building' and mapping out your own virtual set.
I am not all that familiar with the TriCaster side of things, but one of the biggest issues with some of the vMix UV mapping is the 'pixelation' that is often perceptible on certain layers when zooming in. Perhaps this is where designing your own set "may" be beneficial.
I would suggest playing with it and the supplied sets to get a feel for the possibilities and go from there.
Bottom line is, you should be able to come pretty close if you have the patience.
(The video on the floor will require some significant x-y-z axis manipulation, but certainly possible).

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
eazuka on 5/22/2015(UTC)
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 10:55:27 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ eazuka

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I find it hard to resist "playing" with the possibilities of vMix.
This is what I was able to accomplish with the ticker on the floor and various resources I had on hand and vMix's Studio 115 A Virtual Set:

UserPostedImage

If you click on the image it should take you to the 30 second YouTube video.
(or you can click here)

I probably spent the better part of an hour playing around with it, but the point is, the "Augmented reality" simulation of which you speak is achievable.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 5/25/2015(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 4:01:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

haha! Ice :)

Well done, and many thanks.
Thought of throwing something togethet myself, but too little time right now.

Wish there was a better UI for the Virtual set when setting it up...
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:25:17 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Richard

Yes indeed, the sliders on the UI can be very 'temperamental' when trying to find the precise point and it is a lot of "trial and error" when manipulating the elements.
Working with 3D perspective in "UV" space can be a challenge at the best of times and I am not sure how "easy" it would be for Martin to develop a 'better' UI or what exactly that interface should look like.
I am sure that over time, if the 'need' and 'want' is there, the vMix feature set and UI will evolve appropriately, but the point is that vMix is incredibly "powerful" as it is already and 'kudos' to Martin for keeping it simple and not 'over complicating' the UI so that just about anybody can figure it out pretty quickly.

In playing around with the Virtual Sets, I am wondering if there is a "Shortcut" for each camera view (Close up, medium shot and wide), I was not able to find one.
I don't tend to use the Virtual Sets, but if I did, I would want to use the keyboard and not the mouse to change 'views'.
Perhaps a "feature request" is in order?

Ice
doggy  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 11:46:22 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Function "Zoom" ?
eazuka  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:33:44 PM(UTC)
eazuka

IceStream wrote:
@ eazuka

Maybe I have too much time on my hands, but I find it hard to resist "playing" with the possibilities of vMix.
This is what I was able to accomplish with the ticker on the floor and various resources I had on hand and vMix's Studio 115 A Virtual Set:

UserPostedImage

(or you can click here)

I probably spent the better part of an hour playing around with it, but the point is, the "Augmented reality" simulation of which you speak is achievable.

Ice

@IceStream, This is awesome :). Thanks for your effort to prove its possible.
IceStream  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:18:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Solution found for 'Virtual Set' Shortcuts -

Use the "Fade" function when setting up shortcuts for camera view, as discussed in this thread:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3735

After I made the 'feature request' and "doggy" pointed me in the right direction.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:39:47 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

IceStream wrote:
the sliders on the UI can be very 'temperamental' when trying to find the precise point and it is a lot of "trial and error" when manipulating the elements. Working with 3D perspective in "UV" space can be a challenge at the best of times and I am not sure how "easy" it would be for Martin to develop a 'better' UI or what exactly that interface should look like.

I belive that what I feature requested about "live preview" would be a giant step in a good direction.
ravi.singh  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2021 12:58:53 AM(UTC)
ravi.singh

India

Originally Posted by: eazuka Go to Quoted Post
IceStream wrote:
@ eazuka

UserPostedImage

(or you can click here)

Ice

@IceStream, This is awesome :). Thanks for your effort to prove its possible.

Can you please share the video.
IceStream  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2021 10:14:43 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Ravi.Singh

Wow, I had to dig for this one in my archives...
(was set to "Private" but the link should work now)

Ice