logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevespaw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 10:55:12 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Vmix has turned into a pretty great piece of software!

I have dabbled with this before and I have clients that use it, but version 15 is outstanding, but needs one more feature, (In my humble opinion :-)), to take it to the next level.

We have Broadcast trucks filled with High end HD production gear, Ross,EVS,3Plays,Triax cameras. We have some small rigs, Tricaster,Crossover etc. also.

We needed to do a High School Lacross game at the last minute and needed a compact system ASAP. So I threw together a box: i7,Windows10,BMDquad,Android tablet for the TD -- and Vmix 15 and CGstatlink. All in one rack with Audio and Com. WOW it worked great and the replay was awesome. We had students run the system and the show looked good.

BUT.... the capablities are bigger than a one-man show (We call it the Tricaster syndrome).

IF.... Vmix had a network source WITH ALPHA -CasperCG- that worked with Vmix like it does with the Tricaster, it would take it over the top. Because of the client/server architecture and the infinite sources, video and graphics, multiple people can run breaks, graphics, score-bug etc.
The new official Caspar client, with OSC support) is awesome and many other clients are available and are easy to write.

The creator of the Tricaster Plug-in for Caspar CG is Robert Nagy, that can be found on the forums:
http://casparcg.com/forum/index.php He would be a great resource for this.

Coming soon is a new animated PhotoShop PSD tool that will be a game changer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JRg6k9wPww

VMix could very easily control and fire packages in the new official client with OSC messages, with the setup and operation done by a separate operator.

Vmix as the switcher/Replay/Master control with CasparCG for breaks and graphics could replace much of mid-size to smaller trucks. It would be hard to beat.

My 2 cents,
I look forward to your thoughts,

Thanks,
Steve
thanks 3 users thanked stevespaw for this useful post.
thomas on 4/9/2015(UTC), Rinsky on 4/10/2015(UTC), vedranius on 4/23/2015(UTC)
thomas  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:20:54 AM(UTC)
thomas

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
+15! An integration with CasparCG would be a gamechanger!
thanks 1 user thanked thomas for this useful post.
vedranius on 4/23/2015(UTC)
HighViewSport  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:40:30 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yes please +++ CasparCG integration for graphics would be huge for us too !!!
Martin, Hope this can be done. Cheers
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 10:05:23 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+1

It's not the first time this request has been made:

Nov 2012 - http://forums.vmix.com.a...t.aspx?g=posts&t=591
Dec 2012 - http://forums.vmix.com.a...t.aspx?g=posts&t=627
Jun 2013 - http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=1084
Aug 2013 - http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=1201

So the real questions that need to be addressed are:
a) How can we get 'Caspar CG' to work in vMix?
b) Why is it better?

As near as I can tell, from the vMix Team perspective, the basic or contextual support for the technology is already there, so what does "integration" look like or mean to those of us that want it?
Perhaps this round of requests will get some traction, but I have to admit, I don't fully understand what the 'technical' challenges are to get there.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
stevespaw  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:07:37 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

OK, so for anyone new to the CasparCG workflow:
CasparCG is a multilayer - multichannel, playout server. Every layer on every channel has Alpha and has mixer controls.
The playback media usually resides on this PC. The media can be almost ANY format you know from still images to video codec's with alpha.
The Server is a PC with High Power OpenGL graphics - it usually has output cards like the BMD quad or BMD Extreme.

BUT IS DOES NOT HAVE TO ! In the case of Tricaster - which is what we want to emulate in Vmix - In this case a driver that emulates a card sends video to a Tricaster "network source input" WITH ALPHA !!!! . This is very similar to Apple Airplay (which Tricaster also supports and would be awesome in Vmix :-)).

This PC can also be a client, but ANY PC ON THE NETWORK CAN BE THE CLIENT... This includes PC's,MAC,IOS and Android. The official CasparCG client is PC and Mac.
The client sends very simple commands over telnet sockets to control all of the playback and mixer functions, BUT also can send text data to "fill in" flash based animated templates. (and new version coming will support animated PSD's with data as seen in the first post.)

So in the workflow, any other device on the network can tell the server to playback anything at any time. Multiple clients can tell the same server to playback different files on different layers or different output "channels". The possibilities are endless.

All of this with audio too !

This is a very slight overview of CasparCG, there is much more.
www.CasparCG.com

And did I say that it is FREE !!

Steve
thanks 1 user thanked stevespaw for this useful post.
Rinsky  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:32:53 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I can see 2 different ways how CasparCG could be supported by Vmix.

The "simple" way (maybe included in Vmix 4K):

Make a iVGA counterpart for Vmix, something where you don't need an expensive Decklink Extreme for in-sync. This would be really cost effective and helpful for low budget productions.

The advanced way (Vmix Pro):

Combine the Vmix functions for the title creator with the power to trigger animated CasparCG graphics with information within Vmix!
It could be something like a "CasparCG Client Creator", where you have the ability to create a UI with timers and text blocks to feed pre-rendered graphics in CasparCG. Something that would be flexible enough to make it possible to create a time keeping system for every major sport and other productions as well. It should be also possible to feed the client with different data feed methods. I know it sounds very complex, but it could be something a new major project and feature (just like the Instant Replay System last year). Something that would make Vmix stand out even more and make it to a complete Live production software.

I'm sorry if post is a little confusingly written, but I hope you get the point.

Regards,
Patrick
stevespaw  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 11:59:07 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Patrick, your "Advanced" version is the simple part. The new official CasparCG client supports OSC messages.

Workflow:
1. Playback OP builds complicated run downs in the official CasparCG client. Also assigns an ID to different events. i.e. "1234"
2. Vmix could very easily send the OSC message to the IP address of the client: play 1234

The Playback OP is now a separate person on a separate machine (if they want to be). Working on all of the Graphics, Rundowns, and Breaks for the show in realtime.

That part is simple, it is the iVGA part that we need.

Also the sports stuff is already being done by users creating Sports clients. Check out the forum there for MANY examples
ZachSchuster  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2015 1:32:15 PM(UTC)
ZachSchuster

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just off hand, having not looked too much in to the technical requirements, I would like to add a similar connection method to vMix for SuiteCG (formerly CGStatLink), some means of sending a real time video with alpha, and even audio, over the network, similar to the NET input on a Ticaster would be awesome.

I'd be interested in knowing what the requirements would be... an SDK for vMix so third parties could easily integrate would be ideal.

EDIT: To be clear, SuiteCG/CGStatLink can run a separate system and save the dynamic PNG over the network, which vMix can update on the fly, but this is not full motion video with alpha.
admin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2015 9:12:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Guys,

Just letting you know I have been following this discussion with great interest.
I am at NAB for the next week or so, but after that I will dive right into this to see what needs to be done.

There is an internal SDK we use to get inputs into vMix so it sounds like making a pubic version of this available
might be the best option if someone wants to get their hands dirty and build a Caspar CG plugin for it. (.NET is the platform used)

Alternatively I could look at implementing iVGA compatibility, but will need to investigate licensing issues first.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 4 users thanked admin for this useful post.
Thremir on 4/13/2015(UTC), stevespaw on 4/13/2015(UTC), Rinsky on 4/13/2015(UTC), vedranius on 4/23/2015(UTC)
vedranius  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 4:39:55 PM(UTC)
vedranius

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just letting you know I have been following this discussion with great interest.
I am at NAB for the next week or so, but after that I will dive right into this to see what needs to be done.

There is an internal SDK we use to get inputs into vMix so it sounds like making a pubic version of this available
might be the best option if someone wants to get their hands dirty and build a Caspar CG plugin for it. (.NET is the platform used)

Alternatively I could look at implementing iVGA compatibility, but will need to investigate licensing issues first.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Martin, any news about this? :)
Thanks!
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:09:17 AM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Plus one for this...

I asked Robbert Nagy about building a "Direct Show Producer" for CasparCG that would produce a Direct Show video output (Key and Fill) for use in vMix... He quoted 4K euro.. This would not work over a network but if CasparCG was running on the same computer... Bit out of our price range, anyone want to chip in?

Would prefer it if the input could come with Key and Fill through a network as described by patrick above... I only would need the simple version... I make my own clients in LiveCode and you get much more flexibility this way to build exactly what you want...

CasparCG is amazing and I think it would go a long way to promoting the use and adoption of vMix with folks already using CasparCG.

cheers

Mike
admin  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:48:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Guys,

As an update I am working on a specification for an open api that will allow sending and receiving full hd video and audio
between applications over a network. Somewhat similar to iVGA, but as an open specification so it can be used for more than just connecting
to vMix.

Unfortunately the timeline for this has been pushed back a bit due to the features already announced for vMix 16, but I hope
to have it ready around the vMix 17/18 timeframe in 2016.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
stevespaw on 7/1/2015(UTC), PFBM on 7/8/2015(UTC), al4video on 12/13/2016(UTC)
stevespaw  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:30:50 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Great news!
This will be great. The next app then will be to get CharacterWorks on board.

http://www.chrworks.com/

As good as a Chyron or Ross Xpression. They talk iVga now.

Thanks for Awesome vMix.

Steve