logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mazac  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:38:16 AM(UTC)
mazac

Groups: Registered

I recently purchased a Decklink Mini Recorder and am having trouble getting an input feed on vMix. When I add the input source, all I get is a black image. I have tried multiple resolutions and frame rates, but I still can't get a signal. I am using the HDMI input on the card. Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

Thank you.
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:38:30 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi mazac,

there are three basic settings to take into account with the bm mini rec:

input source: you can select sdi or hdmi in the settings of the bm mini ( hardware settings dialogue )

wdm source settings: you also set this in the hardware settings as preferred setting ( p.e. 1080p25)

settings in vmix input should match ( p.e. sdi and wdm)

third: input source should match vmix settings: if your camera outputs hdmi 1080i50 the hardware setting should be on hsmi and input selection in vmix set to hdmi and 1080i50...

otherwise you might end with a black screen.

you can check input parameters using the bm supplied software where the settings should match exactly the input settings otherwise you get a blackscreen.

it takes some playing around but when it works its ok.

also note bm has testrictions on what input it can take 25p and 30p work but 50p and 60p do not.

a good alternative for this are the yuan cards: they almost work on any input and upto 60p.

good luck,
stefan
mazac  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:24:12 AM(UTC)
mazac

I have a computer connected to the capture card over HDMI, I tried setting it to output both 1080i at 60Hz and 720p at 60Hz. I then set the capture input the HDMI, and the resolution to 1080i 59.94 fps. and to 720p 59.94 fps. I still could not get a signal to show up. Is there some other setting that would need to be changed?
Len56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:19:27 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
What driver version are you using? if you are using an old driver that may be the problem.

There is a new driver that came out yesterday 10.3.7, see link below:

https://www.blackmagicde...ily/capture-and-playback

This new driver should also update the firmware for your card too.

Please make sure you un-install your old driver software first then it will ask you to restart your computer then install the new driver software and it should update your firmware.

Also take a look at the section to the right (Latest Support Notes) of the driver download section there are notes on what system and motherboard the BM cards will work with.
mazac  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:56:56 PM(UTC)
mazac

I am currently running the newest version of the drivers (10.3.7). My motherboard is not one of the ones listed on the site. It is a Gigabyte motherboard for an AMD processor. I don't see any AMD motherboards listed as supported. Since my motherboard is not listed, does that mean it will not be possible to get it to work?

Would using a different brand of capture card be the better option at this point? I can still return the BlackMagic card. Do you have any experience with the Matrox MXO2 LE?

Thank you.
Len56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:28:09 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

No I have never used the Matrox MXO2 LE.

There are many other cards on the market maybe someone on these forums can help with them.
mazac  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:02:04 PM(UTC)
mazac

Ok. Is there anything else that I could try to get the Blackmagic card to work? I like that it is just an internal PCIe card and is less components needed to use it as compared to the Matrox one. Also, if there isn't anything else to try to make it work, are there any cards that you do know work that are in the same price range as the Blackmagic one? (approximately $140)

Thank you.
h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:39:21 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
bm cards can not input 60hz so 60p input: chech the specs.

reduce the output to 25p or interlaced 50i and match settings.

stefan
mazac  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:22:19 PM(UTC)
mazac

The data on the Blackmagic site says they can do 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i59.94 and 1080i60. Wouldn't a 60 Hz 1080i signal or 720p signal be fine then?
Len56  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:09:20 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Okay, first off, when you installed your intensity pro card and booted up your pc did windows recognise the card and ask for the drivers?

Second have you installed your card in the right slot in your pc? a PCIe slot.

And third how long is the HDMI cable you are using?
fordry  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:27:49 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Quote:
The data on the Blackmagic site says they can do 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i59.94 and 1080i60. Wouldn't a 60 Hz 1080i signal or 720p signal be fine then?

Do you know how to try 59.94? If you go into the advanced settings and then the monitor tab(using the windows resolution settings, not a graphics card maker's settings) there should be a drop down that, if the driver allows it, can select 59hz or 60hz. Try 59 if you haven't. Also, try using the blackmagic software to capture first and make sure it works. Decklink can be a little finicky, i know from experience. But once you have it dialed in it should work perfectly.

I will also ditto what Len asked. Especially the HDMI cable length. Especially for testing you should not be trying with anything very long, under 10 feet/3 meters would be a good starting point.
mazac  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:42:28 AM(UTC)
mazac

Len56:
I can't remember if it asked for drivers or not, but I installed the Blackmagic software from their website, and the cards seems to be recognized by both vMix and their software. It is installed in a PCIe slot. The HDMI cable is 15ft long. I have used it for many other purposes as well and it is not a bad cable.

fordry:
The computer I was trying to use as the input to the card is a Mac, and it did not have a specific option for 59.94 Hz. The only options were 24/25, 30, and 60 Hz.

Also, I tested the card recently with an SDI camera and was able to make it work without a problem once I figured out the resolution and refresh rate that the camera was providing. I then later tested a different computer than the Mac before as an input to the HDMI port. This time it was a Windows desktop, and I was able to get a signal to be picked up by the card and it was usable in vMix.

I am wondering if it might be an issue with the color space. The color option that the AMD Catalyst Control Center says that it is using for the Blackmagic card is YCbCr 4:2:2 Pixel Format. Other options from that drop down are RGB options. Would the Mac have only been outputting in RGB, in which case does the Blackmagic card not support RGB color?
tdurhamjr  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 6:44:17 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Mazzac,
I have both the Decklink Mini Recorder and Decklink Quads. Back when I was trying to get stuff setup and working smoothly, I found that using the included software "Blackmagic Media Express" was the fastest and easiest way to find your correct settings. With the Blackmagic cards you have to have the correct settings set in 2 locations. 1) CONTROL PANEL > BLACK MAGIC DESIGN CONTROL PANEL and then in the capturing program itself. You have the change the input to be either SDI or HDMI in the BM Design Control Panel, depending on what you are inputing.

Using BM Media Express is very fast and easy to change to the settings in your capture software and determine when you have it set correctly for a particular camera. What ever settings you use in the BM Media Express are the same settings you will use in vMix.

I use 720p 59.94 for all Sony Cameras. I have HDMI>SDI converts that I use on the DL Quads.

Tim