logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Egriswold  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:57:14 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Here's my problem, I have a system setup to feed a live audience, on air broadcast and recording. The Microphones feed a mixer which feeds vMix. This mixer also feeds room speaker system.
All that works great! here's where the problem comes in. The vMix system also feeds mixer so video and audio clip playback can be heard on in-house speakers. This of course creates a loop (ECHO)
So what I need is to be able to isolate a feed from vMix to mixer with audio from clips and files only (No Microphone audio)
Is it possible to send audio from selected modules in vMix to two outputs (Master and a Aux out) so the microphone audio doesn't loop back?
I referenced http://www.vmixhd.com/help14/ in the help documentation under Audio>Recording Audio which does mention feedback loop but no way to really deal with it.
Currently my only work around is to mute vMix feed on mixer during microphone activity then un-mute during playback activity but simultaneously mute vMix input to eliminate that feedback loop. Two step process gets a little crazy at times and if there is an inexperience operator, forget it!!

In this case the system has 4 HD/SDI video inputs with no audio because all cameras are PTZ robotic
Mixer audio comes in on motherboard line in
Video & audio output through Intensity Pro analog
motherboard line out feeds mixer

Thank you in advance for any input
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:38:10 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Go to "Settings" --> "Audio Outputs"
Set "Master Output" and "Headphone" to "none"
Set "A" to your motherboard line out
Close "Settings" and vMix will restart

Route all your inputs including the motherboard line in to Bus "M", that's for recording & streaming
Route all your inputs excluding the motherboard line in to Bus "A", that's your feed to the mixer

That's the quick and dirty approach. An even more versatile method would be to set-up and to use the multichannel output of your motherboard audio. But that's a little bit more difficult to explain...
thanks 2 users thanked ovinas for this useful post.
Egriswold on 1/29/2015(UTC), Beloved on 2/2/2015(UTC)
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:13:48 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Thanks ovinas
I'll give it a try
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:08:38 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Would be nice to have some kind of (positive or negative) feedback...
Egriswold  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 11:43:07 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Haven't had the chance to try yet. As soon as I do I'll post it..
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:14:17 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@ovinas,
Won't your suggestion mean that Video Input audio will go to M, and also via A out to the mixer and then back into vMix again from the mixer, unless the mixer is set up to send vMix a mix minus for audio from vMix?

@Ed, I am pretty sure you will face an audio sync problem.
Since the mics are fed to vMix via the mixer you have to delay that audio to sync with cameras. Two methods:
a) delay on the Audio input module
b) delay Recorder and/or Streamer

But, when you play a video clip in vMix, that audio is in sync and must not be delayed, but there is no way to do that if an exernal mixer is used.
for a, video clip audio will be delayed when it comes back to vMix via the Audio input module
for b, the video clip audio will be delayed when it is recorded/streamed

My idea (in other topics) to solve this has been a "video delay" feature in Video Inputs.

See for example posts on page 7 (June-August), in the looong vMix Audio Discussion topic.
ovinas  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:45:43 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

I'm assuming that anyone who uses an external mixer knows that a mix minus is required and knows how to set this up.

If you only route microphones from the external mixer to vmix just delay this input to fit your cameras and you're save.
Why route video clip audio back from the external mixer? It's going to bus M for recording and streaming and to A for the external mixer/in house speakers. No need to route this back.
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2015 6:05:42 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

ovinas wrote:
No need to route this back.

Oh, I am just assuming that one might wanna use the external mixer's fader to control video clip audio levels ;)
ovinas  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2015 2:50:51 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

It's a free world and it's up to you to route it like you want.
But this thread is about an audio loop and not about your personal routing preferences. Please don't evoke a problem that 99% just don't have.
Damn2Good4U  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2015 3:07:58 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi all,

In my own opinion, I will still request that @Martin should try to do a comprehensive one or two way method(s) of hooking up and external mixer with USB and with cable using line in and Speaker out of a PC.

I have watched his videos and remote videos with Studio Tech via Skype with an excellent setup.

I know he's busy and have tried to explain what's needed to be done, but Audio is the bedrock of broadcasting...

@Martin should please take time out to rest this issue by release step by step tutorials and whoever do not get it then will be on his own...

Regards
Beloved  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2015 9:01:42 PM(UTC)
Beloved

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ovinas wrote:
I'm assuming that anyone who uses an external mixer knows that a mix minus is required and knows how to set this up.

If you only route microphones from the external mixer to vmix just delay this input to fit your cameras and you're save.
Why route video clip audio back from the external mixer? It's going to bus M for recording and streaming and to A for the external mixer/in house speakers. No need to route this back.

Thank You Ovinas!

I now have figured out mix minus and have used your settings above to resolve the feedback hell i've been in for quite sometime. No I only need another Aux channel on my mixer to do what I really want to do! LOL.

Damn2Good4U,

I'll second your comments!

Thanks again to you all!

tcb
richardgatarski  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2015 3:05:26 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

ovinas wrote:
But this thread is about an audio loop and not about your personal routing preferences. Please don't evoke a problem that 99% just don't have.

I am very well aware of that this topic is about an audio loop. That's why I pointed out that one needs to do a mix minus to not add another loop.

If Ed does not need the control the video clips audio levels on the external mixer, I do not think it is even necessary to route their audio out to the external mixer. Since he is using analog Line in he wont get the delay otherwise induced by USB interfaces. He could just set Master out to the motherboards line out to the motherboard's Line out in Settings/Audio outputs. And then use that Line out to feed the PA. This would be a less complex set up, and it does not require an external mixer with buses. Of course the necessary delay to compensate for the Camera Input's video would have to be made in the Recorder/Streamer, and not in the Audio Input which Line in is fed to.

@ovinas. I do not know how you came to the conclusion that syncing external audio from Video clips is my "personal problem...that 99%, just don't have". True, not many other users have brought up similar issues in the forum. And, since Martin has many other needs to consider, I have refrained from posting a feature request about it. That does not mean I suspect it will become important for many more. And the new Replay functionality might become a driver for that.

Thanks.
wsRadioWade  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 3:56:09 AM(UTC)
wsRadioWade

United States

Hi,
I know this is a few years old, but I wanted to add to the conversation.
I think the original question is valid in a common situation,where you are bringing in a caller.
I have a longstanding podcasting network with a radio station equivalent setup.
So I have mixing boards and mix minuses set up that work fine.
I am now using VMix and the Video call feature to add a video component.
The problem is when I substitute the VMix system for my audio VOIP system, VMix itself is trying to combine the audio for it's own mix, I get a loop back of the in studio hosts.
I am going to continue searching for a solution. Perhaps the virtual patch cords may be the solution.