logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:32:52 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I understand that the instant replay feature is being redeveloped and from reading the thread on this topic I have no doubt it will be fantastic.

I am filming single camera sports games like soccer and Aussie rules. With instant replay I would like to have it set to say 25 seconds and after a team has scored a goal simply let the vision run live for about usually 10 seconds. During the 10 seconds the players do the high 5s andits here in the preview window I would find my in point and maybe quickly pause the replay. Next step is to then wait for an outpoint in the still playing live camera and then hit play and cut to the replay.

Today I tried doing this but couldnt seem to pause the play back of the replay when its in the preview window. A setting perhaps?

Its like it would be nice to have that in point of the replay sitting waiting for me to activate it.

Any tips?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 1:01:31 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Duff TV

You can't mark in and out points until your replay is saved to your hard drive as a video clip, which can take longer than your 10 seconds of celebration.
You have to think of "instant replay" as video delay which can be very tricky to manipulate "on the fly", unless, of course, you have ample time to wait for the clip to be saved and you can use it as you please.
Some of the things you are attempting are possible in "Program Out" but not in "Preview". As soon as you go to air with the delay you are giving it a start and end point (similar to hitting save) which means you can pause and scrub back and forth through that section of 'delay' as long as it is on air.
But you can't do that in "Preview" since the start and end points are continuously advancing through time. You can alter the "play head" of the 'delay', i.e. how many seconds back in time of your 'window of delay', but you can't pause it.
Of course, if you don't set up your delay to save as a video clip, as soon as you take that section of 'delay' off air, it's gone and you can never get it back!

The trick to managing it is in timing...

Figure out exactly how much time you have or need to do the "Instant Replay".
In my case, I mostly do Ice Hockey games and I have about a 20-25 second window to do it.
I set up my 'delay' to about 13 seconds.
I allow 5 to 8 seconds of celebration after a goal and then transition to my 'delay' input.
(I have also built in a trigger to save the delay as a clip for future use)
This brings me to about 5 or 6 seconds before the goal and I play it back at 50% speed (i.e. 10 seconds of slow motion instant replay).
I then transition back to live action with a few seconds to spare before the puck drops.
By this time, the video clip is close to being saved to hard disk or already done (I have not paid too close attention to this other than to know it takes longer to save than the window of time I have).

Your situation may be different, but as long as you know how much time back your delay is, you can always time it to come in at the right time.

Here is a sample of how I do it:

Let me know how you make out.

Ice

Duff TV  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 12:02:04 PM(UTC)
Duff TV

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
All is fine now with the instant replay, in fact I like it just the way it is.

It works fine for me clicking back in time before fading into the replay. I will set up a stinger at some point but I'm more than happy with the result as is.

Big session tonight on VmIX and tomorrow morning we do our first live post commentary pass of a 50 minute Aussie Rules game.

Loving this software and I totally endorse it!

Massive game changer for me.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 2:19:00 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Duff TV wrote:
Loving this software and I totally endorse it!
Massive game changer for me.

Agree :)
Just have to convince my event (speaking conferences) customers to accept replays...