logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snedecor  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:40:47 PM(UTC)
snedecor

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello again from the newbie!

The way we want to use vMix for our Church Video broadcast is very information intensive. I want to develop the titles for the speaker, the sermon topic of the day, the verses that will be presented that day, any "pull quotes", and even perhaps a ticker of interesting upcoming events.

This information takes time to put into the title editor and get it just how you like it. I'd like to do this at home, and then bring it to the main vMix machine at the Church and import those items into the existing "default" setup (that already has the cameras, audio, recording, set up.

I tried this last Sunday, copying my XAML files to a thumb drive, but it was an unmitigated disaster! It appears the XAML files do not contain everything needed to create themselves, but just point to places on my local hard drive at home (which I did not bring along for the ride, by the bye) for their various elements, especially the images.

Am I missing something? Is there an option similar to Microsoft's "Pack and Go" where everything you need is copied to the destination, so that you don't have requests for missing items on your titles, etc?

How do others develop from remote locations successfully?

Thanks

Gayle

thanks 1 user thanked snedecor for this useful post.
clafarge on 6/11/2017(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:17:32 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
snedecor wrote:

The way we want to use vMix for our Church Video broadcast is very information intensive. I want to develop the titles for the speaker, the sermon topic of the day, the verses that will be presented that day, any "pull quotes", and even perhaps a ticker of interesting upcoming events.

This information takes time to put into the title editor and get it just how you like it. I'd like to do this at home, and then bring it to the main vMix machine at the Church and import those items into the existing "default" setup (that already has the cameras, audio, recording, set up.

I tried this last Sunday, copying my XAML files to a thumb drive, but it was an unmitigated disaster! It appears the XAML files do not contain everything needed to create themselves, but just point to places on my local hard drive at home (which I did not bring along for the ride, by the bye) for their various elements, especially the images.

Am I missing something? Is there an option similar to Microsoft's "Pack and Go" where everything you need is copied to the destination, so that you don't have requests for missing items on your titles, etc?

Thanks

Gayle

Hi Gayle!

Our church does a similar setup to yours each Sunday. A couple questions. . .

1. Are you using vMix for everything in your service, or are you using another software like EasyWorship or ProPresenter?

2. What exactly happened when you tried to load the XML files into vMix? Typically if you do not have the font's installed on the vMix computer, it can cause issues. What you can do is create the titles in the same folder on both computers and then copy and paste the entire xml folder to the new computer. Include any graphics in the same folder that they were created in and you should not have an issue.

3. Both my wife and I frequently work from remote computers. So in order to avoid doing a lot of file transferring, we use the service LogMeIn.com. This could allow you to develop the slides and titles from 1 place but have them save on the original computer where they will be shown.

Hope that helps!
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:34:09 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Gayle,
There is no pack&go function in vMix. And I believe creating one, if even possible, would be a very complocated task for the developer. Some of us are discussing Relative file paths, which would reduce some of the problems you ran into.

But I think that the new feature "import/export title presets" (that is, preset=content for the title input) is what you need. It was introduced in v13, explained in the help http://www.vmix.com.au/help13/index.htm?Title.html

Using it you can easily enter long texts using any text editor, and import them into a Title Input in vMix.

Edit: A minor clarification: Editing a Title input in vMix does not change the content of the xml file the title uses. Insted the edited texts (title presets) are saved only when the operator saves the vMix preset.
snedecor  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:24:42 PM(UTC)
snedecor

richardgatarski wrote:
Gayle,
There is no pack&go function in vMix. And I believe creating one, if even possible, would be a very complocated task for the developer. Some of us are discussing Relative file paths, which would reduce some of the problems you ran into.

But I think that the new feature "import/export title presets" (that is, preset=content for the title input) is what you need. It was introduced in v13, explained in the help http://www.vmix.com.au/help13/index.htm?Title.html

Using it you can easily enter long texts using any text editor, and import them into a Title Input in vMix.

Edit: A minor clarification: Editing a Title input in vMix does not change the content of the xml file the title uses. Insted the edited texts (title presets) are saved only when the operator saves the vMix preset.

I tried exporting the .csv, but the .csv had file references to items in the title xaml, it wasn't just text. Following are two lines from the .csv

"Acts 2:23-47","46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,","Red","file:///C:/Users/Gayle/Downloads/LowerThridPackV1.0/LowerThridPackV1.0/blank.png"
"Acts 2:23-47","47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.","Red","file:///C:/Users/Gayle/Downloads/LowerThridPackV1.0/LowerThridPackV1.0/blank.png"

I guess I just need to learn to have a common file structure for EVERYTHING and I guess copy the entire file structure every time I want to work from home...

snedecor  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:36:09 PM(UTC)
snedecor

thecloudmediagroup wrote:
snedecor wrote:

Thanks

Gayle

Hi Gayle!

Our church does a similar setup to yours each Sunday. A couple questions. . .

1. Are you using vMix for everything in your service, or are you using another software like EasyWorship or ProPresenter?

2. What exactly happened when you tried to load the XML files into vMix? Typically if you do not have the font's installed on the vMix computer, it can cause issues. What you can do is create the titles in the same folder on both computers and then copy and paste the entire xml folder to the new computer. Include any graphics in the same folder that they were created in and you should not have an issue.

3. Both my wife and I frequently work from remote computers. So in order to avoid doing a lot of file transferring, we use the service LogMeIn.com. This could allow you to develop the slides and titles from 1 place but have them save on the original computer where they will be shown.

Hope that helps!

We use Songshow Plus for the Front of House. It does Worship lyrics, Powerpoints for announcements, slides for introducing solo's, Prayer time, etc. and also plays videos for the congregation, etc., as well as a "foldback" or "confidence monitor" projecting on the back wall of the sanctuary for the Praise team and choir lyrics. We do not do IMAG. We're a small house of worship (seat 250, around 200-220 in typical service).

We're using vMix for both transmission to the Nursery/gym and offline production of DVD. We were using a Vaddio Productionview FX, a stand-alone hardware switcher with 2 PTZ SD cameras, and the feed from the Songshow computer, until the video portion of the Vaddio failed. While we try to get it repaired, we're cobbling together a vMix system from a spare laptop, some USB input dongles, a VGA to composite converter, and then to the DVD/and modulator for the TV.

If we can overcome some video quality problems, I like the capabilities of vMix and may try to talk the Music/Administration Pastor into keeping/upgrading the vMix system instead of fixing the Vaddio.

2. When I tried to load the XAML files, they referred to other files that were originally located on my "C:\users\gayle\documents\1920x300 paper white.jpg" which of course did not exist on the computer I was trying to copy to. And if I had thought in advance and copied that file to my thumb drive, I would have had to copy it to the exact same file directory on the target computer! Not user friendly. I'll have to find a work-around...

ask  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 11:14:02 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Use relative paths in your references. SEE HERE
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:35:26 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
snedecor wrote:
which of course did not exist on the computer I was trying to copy to. And if I had thought in advance and copied that file to my thumb drive, I would have had to copy it to the exact same file directory on the target computer! Not user friendly. I'll have to find a work-around...

Well, instead of this kind of work-arounds we are discussing a more general solution in the topic I referred to.

ask wrote:
Use relative paths in your references. SEE HERE

This is dependent upon a fixed, and known, "current directory". And my impression is that vMix sometimes changes the current directory. At least that seems to be the case when one add inputs, and the starting directory for items added (eg a video file or importing an .csv) sometimes are in the latest used directory. Sometimes in some kind of root directory.

One cause ot the issue is that true file path for directories such as Windows "Documents", "Pictures", "Video", and "Music" is dependent on the Windows user's name. E.g. "Documents" can on one computer be "file://c:/users/gayle/documents" and on another "file://c:/users/thecloudmediagroup/documents".

Here is my current workaraound to make sure that the files are on the same place on different PC:s. First, we create a fixed "working directory", eg: "d:\vmixprojects". Of course all PC:s must have a D-drive. Second, we create sub directories such as "d:\vmixprojects\presets", "d:\vmixprojects\videos", and "d:\vmixprojects\titles". And finally, we put and read *all* files within that working directory structure. This way it's easy to copy the working directory to a USB drive and move to another PC.

But of course, it would be nice if vMix could support working directories (here eg "d:\vmixprojects") and consequently started file browsing in that directory. And, I think, this would also be benefited if supplemented by a "Pack&Go" feature to unclude files outside the working directory.

Now it is time for me to post this, as I have been missing my subway station three times. Passing it back and forth while deeply engaged in this complicated matter ;)
snedecor  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:00:18 AM(UTC)
snedecor

Richard,

Sorry to make you miss your train!

If it is not feasible to make changes in the program, or to expose API's or settings that we can use , then perhaps we need to set up a "best practices" wiki to find the best method to work around the issues...
clafarge  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 11:39:18 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
It's discouraging that this conversation occurred 3 years ago and there's still no simple packaging tool (that I'm aware of). While a pro would pick up plenty of tricks/workarounds to make moving presets work easily, in my opinion, they should not have to do so. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a method to package your presets.

The process could simply be to create your preset as you normally do and when you have what you need, Package Preset would:
► iterate through all linked resources for a file inventory
► use the inventory to identify files with the same name and map those to unused names
► use the inventory to copy the file assets from the current location to the new Preset's assets folder, using the new name where needed
► adjust the link to each resource to the relative path to the new preset's assets folder and new name where needed
► save
► possibly zip the resulting package

Other (unnamed) tools provide similar functionality, and it makes them easier to work with in terms of having to switch between multiple streaming rigs.

Best,

Chad
thanks 1 user thanked clafarge for this useful post.
michaelholt on 6/13/2017(UTC)