logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
asnplus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:41:55 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Groups: Registered

Greetings!

This is Alvin from Missouri USA. Just got the vMix trial software and this CLEARLY knocks the socks off anything on the market. It is especially user friendly for 'one man bands' like me who don't need a lot of inputs to get the job done.

To wit, I want to hotkeya countdown timer into my title and have that same key add a preset time while still counting down (I.e. setting a hockey penalty timer and adding minutes to it if more penalties accrue within time frame)

Please advise on how to expedite this in shortcuts. And again, thank you for a wonderful and timely product.

Alvin Washington
Play by Play
North Iowa Bulls Hockey
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:53:49 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Unfortunately, with hockey, this can quickly become unmanageable, believe me, I have tried almost every permutation and have yet to get it right. I am not going to say it is impossible, just that it gets very convoluted very fast and there is not enough time for one person to manage it. You might be able to handle a couple of overlapping penalties, but dealing with scenarios of double minors and majors or 3 men in the box it is one big headache.
Basically, with vMix timers and hot keys, you need a separate clock for each penalty, so triggering start and stop has to have it's own key for each scenario otherwise everything gets out of whack.
The simplest solution is to have a dedicated camera on the official clock, make multiple "virtual inputs" from it, and crop each one for the 5 clocks you'll need and use the Multi-view feature to place them where you need them...
If you want to give it a shot and need more assistance, let me know, I'd be happy to guide you through the hot key set up that I've done.

Ice
asnplus  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:02:08 PM(UTC)
asnplus

Then let me ask this...

If another penalty from the sme team occurs on the current penalty, is that still the same power play o a new one?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:25:22 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Well, you're dealing with a 5 on 3 for the balance of the first penalty, so depending on what or how you want to inform your viewers of that will determine how many "clocks" you'll need.
Basically, there are 4 penalty clocks, but with today's crackdown on head shots, you have to account for the 4 minute double minor, which with vMix timers, you cannot easily alternate between 2 and 4 minutes on the same clock (not enough time to change the settings on the fly) so you essentially need to have 8 clocks at the ready,(5 minute majors and misconducts are less common and I have not had a need for them, but they could come into play as well) so you can see how it can be a major distraction to manage which clock at which time when there are more important tasks at hand, namely broadcasting the game. And hence why I say I have yet to get it right during a live broadcast, I've come close a couple of times, but invariably, it gets messed up somewhere. Being able to use the official game clock would totally eliminate those headaches.
Typically, I try to handle the single penalties, but overlapping and multiples I don't bother with too much because of the aforementioned complexities.
And really, in the grand scheme of things, viewers do not pay a lot of attention to the clocks, they will glance at it periodically so it's a nice feature to have, but believe me, you will notice it and stress over it a lot more than they will. My best advise is to keep it simple if you can.
Do you have any recordings of games?
I would suggest trying things out by playing back a game file as if it's live and overlay your clock(s) and scoreboard and you will get a feel for what I am talking about.
If you need assistance, let me know.

Ice
asnplus  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:31:03 AM(UTC)
asnplus

The reason I'm asking if multiple penalties from the same team on the same power still make it just that one power play is because I am creating a simple board where it is just power plays made against power plays attempted, thereby eliminating the clock issue.

Kindly advise and thanks again for your help.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:04:35 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

I am not a statistician, but technically, any time a team has a penalty and is at a disadvantage it amounts to a powerplay for the other team. Overlapping penalties can extend the duration of a powerplay with the overlapping time being a 5 on 3 advantage, but I believe the stat would still be considered as two powerplay attemps (or two penalties that put them at an advantage). Some powerplays are cut short because of a counter penalty to the advantaged team. It's still considered a powerplay attempt whether it's 10 seconds or 1 minute and fifty seconds. So it can be a misleading stat when used in that context.

Ice
asnplus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:07:40 AM(UTC)
asnplus

Sounds plausible. I will consult the NHL rulebook and see if they say different or not. But thanks again.

BTW, the Title Designer... sliced bread can't even come close to this :-)