logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:28:30 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Today we tried to realize a couple of novel ideas for doing live sign interpretation. The basic setup, adding a sign interpreter with chroma key, was just a breeze (with some trimming help from Martin, thanks!)

But switching between interpreting live video and pre-recorded material posed a little challenge regarding audio. We managed to fix a workaround, but that was very inflexible and cumbersome to setup. This motivates the first feature request below.

My second request is not really motivated by similar issues, but I believe it is related in terms of design and implementation.

AUTOMIX AUDIO SOURCE

It would be nice if the audio settings for each input module offered a way to define from which of the input modules audio should be taken when audio is automatically mixed. Currently (v12) vMix takes the audio from what is in program, and if that is an input with multiview, that means no/wrong audio. If possible to implement, I think the best place to put this feature is as "Automix audio source" (dropdown) behind the module's "Audio settings" button.

SELECTABLE AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE

Today the only way to mix audio from multiple input modules is by using vMix's internal mixer. It's nice, but difficult to manage with a mouse, uses (a lot of) screen estate, and has limited functionality (although v13 is promised to offer improvements). So, many of us use external mixers. This works, but not always well for audio sources who's audio is not individually available outside vMix (i.e. Video, FLASH/RTMP, and Streams).

Therefore I would like to be able to define in the input module if audio should be forward to vMix audio, or any other available audio output device. For example implemented as "Audio output" (dropdown) behind the module's "Audio settings" button.
peterphelan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:18:34 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
>>Today the only way to mix audio from multiple input modules is by using vMix's internal mixer. It's nice, but difficult to manage with a mouse, uses (a lot of) screen estate, and has limited functionality<<

Yes I agree; I have mentioned this in the past. It's the only thing I find awkward in vMix, which is literally great in other respects.

An option to just offload *everything* on the audio side to an external mixer -:) It can then have multiple Skype guests, audio and video hosted on the computer playing its own sound etc. And it can all then be monitored via headphones, balanced, faded in and out via proper hardware faders, muted, eq individually adjusted, have aux sends, monitor mixes etc.

Interested to see what v13 has in store.
Peter
Innomedia  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 2:41:00 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I also support this idea of having a kind of audio matrix. This basic idea is core of many other entries here in the forum, they all deal with the problem of selecting the "fitting" audio to the video input (or output).

Our main problem is to select correct audio for the video delay of a live camera. For our highlight clips we need the atmosphere of the stadium but there is no way to save the audio of the main camera within the delay clip. The idea of having a dropdown-box here seems to be a very good solution for this purpose as well.

Regards
Karsten
thanks 1 user thanked Innomedia for this useful post.
krassesPferd on 6/21/2014(UTC)
ClementN  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:01:44 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hello Karsten,

There is a long discussion about this here: http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2286
There is even a beta version with some new features...
Innomedia  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 2:55:45 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I know and I already tested new preview release (13.0.0.99), but there is still no possibility to have any audio source for a video delay. The new engine is a step forward and there are some useful features (especially for our live-streaming project). But the most important function for us is to record at least the audio of the camera source the video delay is related to.

If you are not in sports business you may have no interest or do not see the advantages of this point. We have a lot of customers in professional sports and they all use our solution (based on vMix) for their stadiums. They all bother about this missing possibility because it would ease the pain of doing a quick rough-cut of all highlights after the game. The highlight clips are produced during the game for Stadium-TV but there is no audio (atmosphere) available. For internal use at halftime show it is no problem (comes up with music then). But for transmission to tv-stations you can not use these clips. This means double work and extra effort because audio has to be cut from original sources in additional programs (like Final Cut or Premiere).

I really hope that this little step could be done soon.

Regards
Karsten
thanks 2 users thanked Innomedia for this useful post.
krassesPferd on 6/22/2014(UTC), DeeJay on 6/22/2014(UTC)
krassesPferd  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:31:34 AM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Innomedia wrote:
But the most important function for us is to record at least the audio of the camera source the video delay is related to.

If you are not in sports business you may have no interest or do not see the advantages of this point. We have a lot of customers in professional sports and they all use our solution (based on vMix) for their stadiums. They all bother about this missing possibility because it would ease the pain of doing a quick rough-cut of all highlights after the game. The highlight clips are produced during the game for Stadium-TV but there is no audio (atmosphere) available. For internal use at halftime show it is no problem (comes up with music then). But for transmission to tv-stations you can not use these clips. This means double work and extra effort because audio has to be cut from original sources in additional programs (like Final Cut or Premiere).

I really hope that this little step could be done soon.

Regards
Karsten

I'm having the same problem. But sometimes I need other audio such as commentary or from an external atmosphere microphone plugged in via microphone jack. So for my sports productions it would be perfect to have a dropdown list to choose an audio input (just in the same way you could select an audio input for each camera in the Add-Input-camera window).

Best regards,
Yannick