logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ccvmandv  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:53:16 PM(UTC)
ccvmandv

Groups: Registered

Was trying to follow Ali's tip in this thread (http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=541) to add a shadow to the talent in a virtual set.

My source for the talent is HDMI via an AverMedia Live Gamer HD (C985) card. When I add the input the second time, down in the input area I see the header bar referencing the AverMedia card, but the rest is just a black box - I don't see the input. At the same time, the first instance of the AverMedia input freezes. I can still switch between the "black box" and the frozen image, but all I see is a black box and a frozen image.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bob
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:45:15 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I'm not sure, but I don't believe you can add a live capture source more than once.
Ali's tip would work with recorded footage, but I don't see how it can be accomplished with a live camera. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Ice
melody  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:53:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

maybe requesting some "duplicate input" feature would be good for your need... it can unlock some other options to use the same input with different settings on the same mixing.
ccvmandv  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:25:15 AM(UTC)
ccvmandv

Ice,

Per Ali's tip he is putting the shadow under a live source:

"I have a tip concerning the new saturation option in combination with the chroma key effect, I added the same source twice chroma keyed it and overlayed them, used one source with the saturation to minimum added some black stretch and rotated it on Z, now I have a real time shadow under my LIVE performer."

However, I may be going about adding the same source the second time incorrectly or missing some part of the process. When I add the AverMedia source the second time, I get the blank/black window. When I try adding a webcam source the second time, I get an error message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

Melody,

Good thought. Hopefully, on the roadmap is adding controls that would enable adding shadow and reflections to virtual sets. Both of those really "sell" the look of the virtual set.

Thanks,
Bob
macjaeger  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:11:10 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
As far as i remember (i'm at work atm, can't test) you can't add live inputs a second time, as the drivers usually won't allow multiple connections. But you can duplicate any input by using the multiview feature of e.g. an image:
1. open your capture input, say "cam 1"
2. open some other input, eg. an image, say "pic 1"
3. double click "pic 1", go to "multiview" tab
4. select "cam 1" as overlay in multiview tab
5. repeat 2-4 if needed
thanks 1 user thanked macjaeger for this useful post.
ccvmandv on 6/27/2013(UTC)
ccvmandv  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:37:12 PM(UTC)
ccvmandv

Hi Macjaeger,

That helped a lot. I now see that I could input a background, then input Cam1 (the "talent") as Overlay1 with an offset and rotation (for the shadow), then input Cam1 as Overlay2 again (as the main "talent" shot). This would put the background image as the bottom layer, the shadow (Overlay1) as the middle layer, and the Talent/Cam1 (Overlay2) as the top layer.

What I'm missing is how to make Overlay1 (the shadow) look like a shadow. As far as I can tell, I can only Color Adjust on the Input, which of course also affects the Talent/Cam1 layer. Is there a way to control the Color Adjust of just the Overlay?

Thanks,
Bob
ccvmandv  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:21:47 AM(UTC)
ccvmandv

Still wondering:

"What I'm missing is how to make Overlay1 (the shadow) look like a shadow. As far as I can tell, I can only Color Adjust on the Input, which of course also affects the Talent/Cam1 layer. Is there a way to control the Color Adjust of just the Overlay?"

Is this possible or is there an alternative way to add shadows & reflections to the virtual sets?

Thanks,
Bob
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:44:57 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I can only assume that Ali has split the source signal prior to the capture card and added each as a separate input, because like you I am unable to replicate what he has claimed to have done.
There is likely a way to accomplish this through coding since Newtek does it with their products, but I don't think vMix is there yet.

Ice
ccvmandv  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:00:19 PM(UTC)
ccvmandv

OK. Thanks for confirming. I will put a Feature Request in for shadows & reflections for the Virtual Sets just to have it noted.

It's a very impressive program with lots of potential uses, but it doesn't work for my, admittedly, narrow use. I need a virtual set with 3 cameras (#1=full set; #2=talent1; #3=talent2) and I need reasonably realistic virtual sets with shadows and reflections for all 3 cameras. For now, Newtek looks like the best bet, but I'll be keeping an eye on VMix.

Thanks,

Bob