logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nick Davidson  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:26:06 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have (2) PCs. Both have (2) quad decklink cards and each also has an intensity pro card from Blackmagic.

PC 1 will be the switcher and will also ISO record up to 8 cameras (individual 2TB drives for each camera) PC 1 will also accept a feed from PC 2 and ISO record that feed. The Multicorder works AWESOME!

PC 2 Will have a dedicated replay operator. PC 2 will feed the replay to PC 1 and PC 1 will take it in as a new camera input.

Since PC 2 will be using Video Delay inputs on all 8 cameras, I'm wondering how vMix handles those files? I want to make sure my hardware can handle all those Video Delay sources. Does vMix rely on memory or does it create temporary files and can I tell vMix where to store those temp files to optimize PC performance? PC 2 has a whole bunch of 2TB drives as well.

The PCs have
i7 4930K 6 core (overclocked a bit)
32GB RAM
Sabertooth x79 motherboards.
Radeon Sapphire 2GB graphics cards

Thanks for the help!
thanks 1 user thanked Nick Davidson for this useful post.
imagebotique on 4/20/2014(UTC)
Maximus  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 2:14:06 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi Nick,
How are the ISO recordings of PC 1 getting to PC 2 for replay back to PC 1? I am curious. I think if I had that setup, I would split the incoming cameras to both PC 1 and PC 2. Use PC 1 to switch cameras and Replays to Program Output, and use PC 2 to record/replay the 8 incoming cameras back to PC 1.

Others may have better suggestions.

Maxi
Nick Davidson  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:26:55 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Replay control of 8 cameras is a full time job at an auto racing track. The Technical Director cannot manage switching and manage replays at the same time.

Currently, the system is setup so both PCs get all 8 cameras. PC2 watches, manages and serves up the replays to his Program Output. PC2s Program is set to uses External Output 2 to a BMD Intensity Pro. PC1 Adds Input of PC2s output. PC1 grabs this off the BMD Intensity Pro that he has in his PC as well.

I am new to vMix. We were starting off with VidBlaster but I don't think it will work for various other reasons.

I just figured out how to allocate the Video Delay Recordings to a List which is stored on a specific Hard Drive. I'd like to understand how vMix handles the Delay files? I need to optimize performance in the PCs.

Does vMix use RAM for the Delay buffer prior to saving the clips? Or perhaps it stores the temp files to the C-Drive? My C drive is a 128GB San Disk SSD.

Any insight would be very helpful. We are racing next Saturday and I need to be ready to rock and roll!

Also, is the a way to start all 8 Video Delay Recordings at once? And Save all 8 at once? I'd love it if I could map all Video Delay Record commands to the same key stroke. Currently I can only set up 1 Record command to one key.

Thanks in advance!

r@wisla  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:21:26 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Nick Davidson wrote:
Does vMix use RAM for the Delay buffer prior to saving the clips? Or perhaps it stores the temp files to the C-Drive? My C drive is a 128GB San Disk SSD.

Delay buffer is stored in RAM (I'm 90% sure :) )

Nick Davidson wrote:
I just figured out how to allocate the Video Delay Recordings to a List which is stored on a specific Hard Drive.

But all recordings are in the same path, right? You can't save Video Delay 1 & 2 recordings to drive D and Video Delay 3 & 4 recordings to drive E? Or I'm missing something? If not - good idea for a new feature request.

P.S. Watched your setup in ThatVidBlasterGuy Show. Impressive.

P.S. 2. I'd like to suggest you something. If I remember right, You connect your cameras to PC-2 (replay) and from it with Decklink Quad pass-thru outputs to PC-1 Decklink Quad inputs. I would connect cameras to PC-1 and pass-thru to PC-2. Imagine, sometings happens with your PC-2 (sure, You don't want this :)) - it will destroy your whole broadcast. When you connect cameras to PC-1 and something happens with PC-2 - you will "only" not have replay. But switching, graphics, streaming will still work continuously.

Good luck

Rafal