logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luthierwnc  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2014 5:07:26 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello Everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

I am trying to create a video/audio recording of some guitar amps I'm selling. I'm using a Shure 57 mic offset on the lower speaker of a 2x12 cab. That is going into a Scarlett 2i2 and USB into the PC. I'm using a C920 webcam for the video although that only has to show the panel settings. The Scarlett is set up as separate mono and most of the gain settings are a shade over half. Everything works but I'm getting a nasty clip at these levels. Turn them down and the audio is pretty weak. I"ve been fiddling with all of the gain settings but was hoping that someone here has some tips for close-mic'ing a guitar amp to get tolerable fidelity without distortion?

Thanks, sh
Maximus  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 2:19:07 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi
Using the SM 57 is a good choice and should give you the sound you want without any overload. I have not used the 2i2 personally, but it has a visual indicator (red, amber, green) for signal level. Assuming you are working in the green, then it is most likely a digital mismatch in the setup between the 2i2 and computer Sound (Recording) setup. Check your sample rate etc. If possible, check you mic/cable in a standard PA to eliminate any likelihood that is causing the problem.

Not sure if this helps but that's all I can think of.

Good luck,
Maxi