logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:53:50 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Is there a official or unofficial guide to setting up vMix with a separate mixer?

I have sweated bullets on this issue and finally found a set up that works, but I suspect I have not found the simplest or more proper method. In VidBlaster and Wirecast, the audio input is simple, but I tend to get an echo in vMix with the general set up.
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:29:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
Hi,

If you would like to use a separate audio mixer simply select that audio input in vMix Settings under the Audio tab.
This is instead of adding the audio as an input in vMix.

This way the recording and stream will only record what is coming out of the audio mixer and prevent any echos.

http://www.vmix.com.au/help14/RecordingAudio.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:50:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Actually, I would be curious to hear how you have managed to use a separate audio mixer in Wirecast?
From what I can gather this is not possible and you will hear audio echo there also.

richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:10:23 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Tom,
I have spent quite some time figuring this out. vMix is extremely flexible, so there are of course a great number of options to route and delay audio.

One of my main needs is to actualle be able to see the Main level meter, and listen to the audio in vMix before starting the streamer and/or recorder. Here is how I currently do it. There is one major drawback with that setup, which I will comment below.

I connect my External mixer to the PC via USB.

I add an Audio Input using the External mixer's "Microphone/Line USB" device. Make sure it's Audio is on (green button), and only goes to Main (not bus A or B).
(see also about "Behringer USB noise")

To satisfy my main need, in Settings/Audio "Recording audio" is set to "vMix audio".

For Settings/Audio output:
- Master output: None
- Headphones: Speakers (or whatever goes to the PC's analog headphone out, allows me to listen in vMix)
- A: None
- B: None

I delay the Recording (100 ms) and External 40 ms, for streaming). Of course you have to adjust your delays to match your hardware.

This way I can mix external microphones on the External mixer and listen in vMix to what is actually recorder. Compared to listening in the mixer I get a slight delay in the headphones, which is OK as long as the producer does not have to speak in a mike, then it becomes annoying. In that case, I listen in the External mixer instead.

The main drawback with this is that Audio from video inputs and live feeds has to be mixed inside vMix. This works pretty well.

I have tried routing (video) Inputs audio out to the External mixer via an USB speaker device in the following way.
- Settings/Audio output set Bus A: USB speaker
- Inputs with Audio: Audio on, deselecting Master and selecting bus A

Unfortunately that Audio will not end up in sync, due to the delay set for recording/streaming.
In my view, the only way this can be compensated for is if vMix had functionality for delaying the video in the Players.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe you get some ideas.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
sinc747 on 10/24/2014(UTC)
w14  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:59:30 PM(UTC)
w14

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have been using Wirecast for a couple of years now, but I'm seriously evaluating vMix for a number of reasons. In Wirecast, taking audio in from a USB mixer is really easy as sinc747 says. It appears as a source, and it can be combined with a camera source to make a shot.

The advantage to this is that you can choose which shots have audio from the mixer and which don't. So, for example, a video clip to be played out during a live programme would not include the USB audio device in the shot, and so there is no danger of presenters being overheard while the pre-recorded clip is playing. This happens automatically without having to mute an audio source either on the mixer or in Wirecast.

The issue I can't get my head round is how I can achieve this in vMix. As richard says, "the main drawback with this is that Audio from video inputs and live feeds has to be mixed inside vMix." I don't want to have to add manually muting audio to the workflow. Accidents will happen.

One way that seems to work is that when I add a video clip shot in vMix (or any shot where I don't want to hear anything from the mixer), I add triggers so that the USB audio mixer input is muted and unmuted as the clip is transitioned in and out. But when I do this I still seem to be able to hear the USB audio input if I am monitoring vMix on headphones even though it is not heard in the recording. Maybe that's as simple as adding other triggers to mute and unmute that as well - haven't tested yet.

Am I on the right lines here, or can anyone suggest a simpler setup?
admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:21:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

You can do this with the following:

1. Add the audio source as an Audio Input through Add Input
2. Any input you want the audio source enabled on simply add it to that input under Input Properties - MultiView tab.

This will link the two together so audio will be enabled and disabled automatically when switching to that input.
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:35:50 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

admin wrote:
Actually, I would be curious to hear how you have managed to use a separate audio mixer in Wirecast?
From what I can gather this is not possible and you will hear audio echo there also.

Martin,

I use Wirecast primarily for encoding/streaming & recording. So, audio is generated from Wirecast (videos, mp3's, etc.). The mixer is the only audio source.

- Tom

BTW - I am very close to having a suitable audio set up in vMix using my Behringer X1204USB mixer. I will post the YouTube video of my set up in this thread when I am 100% certain I have it correct. Many thanks to Richard G for his advice and counsel.

hogwam  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 5:49:51 AM(UTC)
hogwam

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If you're using an external mixer with USB, remember to un-check the option to 'listen to this device'
Otherwise you'll get feedback/echo

hogwam attached the following image(s):
mute-input.JPG (53kb) downloaded 32 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked hogwam for this useful post.
ask on 10/24/2014(UTC)
w14  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 6:19:46 AM(UTC)
w14

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
admin wrote:
You can do this with the following:

Brilliant, Martin, thank you.

admin  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:52:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Tom,

Just saw the video you posted on setting up the audio in vMix 14.
It was interesting seeing the method you came up with for mixing audio as I had never really considered doing it that way before!

What I wanted to quickly point out is that while vMix certainly has a lot of advanced audio mixing options, if a simple audio setup like VidBlaster
is what users are after, you can do that in vMix as well!

It requires two steps and can all be done from vMix Settings.

1. In the Audio Outputs tab, set the "Master Output" to the device you use to output to your mixer. vMix will use this for any video clips and audio files that are added.
2. In the Audio tab set the "Recording Audio" option to the audio input device coming from your audio mixer. This is the same as would be set in the Recorder or Streamer modules in VidBlaster

That's it! No need to add the microphone or line in as an input in vMix as that would cause an echo.
With this setup your audio mixer takes over and you can hide the vMix audio mixer and not have to worry about it.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
sinc747  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:15:07 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Somehow I missed this post last year.

Thanks, Martin!

- Tom
GeorgeR  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 10:48:37 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:
Is there a official or unofficial guide to setting up vMix with a separate mixer?

I have sweated bullets on this issue and finally found a set up that works, but I suspect I have not found the simplest or more proper method. In VidBlaster and Wirecast, the audio input is simple, but I tend to get an echo in vMix with the general set up.

Sinc747 I had a terrible audio echo at one time. It was very easy to fix (once I found the problem LOL) Here's a short YouTube video on what caused the audio echo and how I fixed it

Cheers!
~George
sinc747  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2015 12:02:00 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

GeorgeR wrote:
Sinc747 I had a terrible audio echo at one time. It was very easy to fix (once I found the problem LOL) Here's a short YouTube video on what caused the audio echo and how I fixed it

Cheers!
~George

Hi George,

I'm good now. I was just thanking Martin for his post from last year. :)

- Tom