logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coskel22  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:48:28 PM(UTC)
coskel22

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I recorded MPEG-TS yesterday vMix vers 13+ knowing I needed to edit the file and Adobe CS5 says it is an unsupported file format when I try to import it?
Bardos  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:57:55 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
There are some free file converters on line, do a Google search, and convert them.......I do not have that problem...I use Edius to do my editing
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:01:35 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Will the MPEG-TS files play thru other media players?
Egriswold  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:30:37 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Did you try renaming suffix to "mpg"
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:31:31 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Egriswold

Has that worked for you?

I have broached the "issue" before about PremierePro CS5 and .TS recordings and you are the first to suggest renaming the extention.

Transport Stream has been recommended as the preferred format for editors but that has not been my experience with Adobe CS5:

http://forums.vmix.com.a...t.aspx?g=posts&t=776
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2282

Ice
ask  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 8:15:46 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Try this utility from aVerMedia: http://ftp2.avermedia.co...875_utility_20140319.zip

It is to convert TS to MP4 format
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 12:11:44 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Egriswold & coskel22

Renaming the file extension from .ts to .mpg does infact allow Premiere Pro CS5 to see the footage.
Although, I do not see any perceivable differences in quality from recording as MPG in my preliminary tests, so unless there are some valid advantages to recording Transport Stream (please advise if you know), I don't see the point of choosing TS over MPG and add that additional 'renaming' step (although being aware of the 'trick' is good to know).

@ ask

The Avermedia utility did not work for me or at least never saved the file where it said it did.

EDIT: Upon further testing, the renamed .ts file appears to be a little "cleaner" or sharper than the MPG file, but I would like to know for sure what or if there is in fact a "technical" difference between the two formats.

Ice
ask  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 6:34:27 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ coskel22

@ ask

The Avermedia utility did not work for me or at least never saved the file where it said it did.

Does for me

Quote:

I would like to know for sure what or if there is in fact a "technical" difference between the two formats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:58:19 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ ask

That's all fine and dandy (and a little bit beyond my understanding), but it doesn't really tell me anything about the difference, especially with regards to image quality and how or if they record differently in vMix. Both are extensions for the MPEG-2 compression, (although .mpg is more generic and can also be used for MPEG-1 files). My point is, is a .ts recording any better than a .mpg recording in vMix? (all settings being the same)
If so, it may be worth the extra step to rename the file for editing in Premiere Pro CS5. In my preliminary tests, the differences were barely perceivable but I noticed enough to make me wonder if perhaps the .ts is slightly better.
The fact that Martin recommends it for use in NLE's and yet PP CS5 does not recognize it puzzles me, for that matter, do any of Adobe's later versions interpret .ts files? (CS5.5 or CC)

As with most users here, I want to be able to make the best recordings possible for archiving, editing and sometimes DVD distribution but till this point I have avoided .ts files because I could not import them into Premiere Pro for further processing. Ultimately, I will continue testing to find the best solution for me, but it would be nice to know what are "technically" and visually the "BEST" settings for vMix's recorder.

Ice
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:30:34 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

As a follow-up, my tests are still somewhat inconclusive, although I have a slight preference for the .ts recording.

UserPostedImage

Please note, vMix recommends using transport stream (.ts) recordings for editing, however, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 does not recognize that file extension unless you rename it.
I have conducted this test of recording Standard TV Test patterns to see if there is any difference in recording as .ts or .mpg with vMix.
Both file formats were recorded at 1920x1080 NTSC 29.97 and 25 Mbps. Finished .ts files were subsequently renamed with the .mpg file extension and the clips were edited in Premiere Pro CS5.

Unfortunately, the mp4 and YouTube compression do not do the Original Recordings justice, but to be honest, there is very little difference between them to begin with. Individual frame shots from each are also indistinguishable as can be seen above. But a slight difference is noticeable during playback, especially in the vertical border between green and magenta. (The .mpg recording has a darker line whereas the .ts has none and generally appears to display finer resolution, but as stated, individual frame shots are identical so I don't know why they play back differently).
The YouTube mp4 compression exhibits the dark line in both recordings and so renders my attempts to illustrate the difference somewhat useless, but I guess the end conclusion is that it really doesn't make that much of a difference if you are going to distribute the edited video online. It may be somewhat noticeable if you are distributing by DVD but I have not tested that.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 9/11/2014(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:07:27 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@ Ice, thanks for the tests. What bitrate do you think is good enough for Youtube at 1080p (or 720p)?
I.e. the trade off high Q vs huge file size.
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:13:44 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ richardgatarski

I typically render to MainConcept h.264 1080p HQ (Target 32, Max 40 Mbps)from Premiere Pro CS5 and upload to YouTube since I find that YouTube does not seem to like the Adobe CS5 "YouTube Widescreen HD" preset (probably outdated...). Yes, larger file sizes, but I don't know what exactly YouTube is doing on their end in terms of re-encoding so I send the best quality h.264 preset I can with CS5.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 9/11/2014(UTC)
IceStream  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:22:30 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

UPDATE:

Premiere Pro CS5 will recognize a renamed .ts file, but it seems to not like the process of importing them (can take in excess of 15 minutes with large files)
Also, the audio tracks do not seem to play back within the program, although they render out fine.

Ice
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:00:25 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Update 2:

Audio Drift up to several seconds is very apparent after a several minutes of a long recording as evidenced in this football game I did recently:

There were several dropped frames detected by Premiere Pro CS5 of the renamed .ts file and the file was subsequently rendered out as an .mp4 file which may have exacerbated the issue, I don't know for sure since, as noted earlier, I could not hear the audio in CS5...
As it stands, I cannot recommend using .ts recordings with Premiere Pro CS5 given the audio drift issue I have experienced.

Ice

chris198810  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2015 4:32:09 AM(UTC)
chris198810

coskel22 wrote:
I recorded MPEG-TS yesterday vMix vers 13+ knowing I needed to edit the file and Adobe CS5 says it is an unsupported file format when I try to import it?

TS files are technically just MPEG2 files at a very specific resolution. You can safely and freely rename them to .mpeg. Well, if it doesn't work, you can try a app like Brorsoft Video Converter to convert TS to MPEG-2 for editing in Adobe Premiere without any issue.
monica66  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:35:19 AM(UTC)
monica66

chris198810 wrote:
coskel22 wrote:

TS files are technically just MPEG2 files at a very specific resolution. You can safely and freely rename them to .mpeg. Well, if it doesn't work, you can try a app like Brorsoft Video Converter to convert TS to MPEG-2 for editing in Adobe Premiere without any issue.

Thank you Chris, the software Brorsoft Video Converter you recommended is much helpful to me. Great product!