logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:10:46 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
We are currently live, until 21:00 CEST today at www.jennystrom.com/innanutanfor/
Three cameras, ppt integration, otherwise a normal conference cast.
So far vMix v13 is rocking goood!
Recording will be published afterwards (within a day or two, depends on if the want it editet)

Njoy! the Swedish ;)
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 6:32:50 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi richard,

i dropped in had a look ( my compliments for the mix ) but did not hear sound.

greetings stefan
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 6:51:25 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

h2video.nl wrote:
but did not hear sound.

Did you perhaps watch via Android or iOS?
We streamed with 720 @25p, 1.5 Mbps, h.264 mp3 and the CDN (Solidtango.com) does not transcode, so audio don't work on all viewing platforms.

Sidenotes.

This was a pro bono gig, and an opportunity for us to test some new things in an "economic risk free enviroment".

We got a slight ground loop noise a bit into to show for a while. Turned out afterwards that turning on the local projector resulted in a ground loop in the XLR tap to us.

We also tried for the first time with two Nyrius Aries Pro wireless sets. Worked perfectly when we tested, but when the audience filled the room, our Arieses interferred with each other so we had to kill one.

vMix excelled, but we did quite a few mixing error. Blame post vacation and not used to working with preview ;)

We also premiered our new SmartTitler add-on to vMix, more about that later. Success on that end!
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 8:32:55 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
The audio was to close to the edge and sometimes distorted because of too high level. Always plan some headroom or use compression before feeding this into the PC/vMix.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 11:44:12 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Like Stefan, I popped in to have a look and audio might have been non existent.
Not sure if it was still live or VOD at that point or if it was related to my slow internet connection here or not (often akin to dial-up), so it ended up buffering in the background and I forgot about it till much later when I started closing out open tabs in IE.
Never once did I notice the audio feed to remind me it was there (as is the case most of the time with YouTube and Ustream tabs I open and allow to buffer while I move on).
Again, I cannot confirm the "no audio" condition, only that I never heard anything the whole time I was surfing and when I came to closing the tab, it was in buffering/loading mode and I can only assume that it had been cycling through buffering and playing the whole time but I did not have time to check it out by this point.

Ice

Edit: must have been Live because it was not the YouTube embed that is there now.
Rehan  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 2:32:06 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I had no problem hearing the sound on my PC during the live feed. It was a little bit out of sync with the video (probably around 150-200 ms), but it seemed fine otherwise.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:56:59 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks to everyone for watching and giving feedback!

The same night we cut our local recording (mp4 720p @50 fps, 8 Mbps) into sessions, and uploaded them to YouTube. All sessions where published on the organizer's web site the next day.

I am puzzled about why some of you could not hear the audio even though you did not listen on iOS or Android (which does not support mp3). I had no problem hearing in my browser (IE), and none of the Swedish viewers reported problems with audio. (Not so many viewers, as the organizers did not market the live stream - they wanted people at the venue).

With respect to out of sync, I am equally puzzled. Before the event we checked sync and trimmed our audio delay using a kind of clap, actually my teeth ;). Hard to get exact, but according to our measurements maybe 1-2 frames (20-40 ms) off. If anyone of you who noticed live out of sync have the time, please do a quick check at the CDN's local recording. At for example 1h35m20s there is a good shot that in my view demonstrates acceptable sync:
https://westreamu.solidtango.com/video/innanutanfor-live-20-aug-21-09
(That page is for you guys only, will be removed in a couple of weeks).
I did also download and check both the actual CDN .flv recording and the CDN:s HD mp4 transcoding.

Ovinas is dead on when it comes to "too high level". Actually, I was hoping nobody would notice - but then there are the pro's ;) The venue had two headsets and one hand mike, which were automixed before we got the signal over XLR. Trust me, the venue's mixer was not very well set up. Our producer did his best to try to adjust between the speakers on our mixer (Behringer Xenyx 302). Extremely difficult, as he also managed one, sometimes two, cameras besides doing the switching.

We did try to compensate using vMix's compressor, but hard to do when we were live. And, as has been discussed in More level meter needed for audio compressor, it does not help when one cannot see how much the signal is kicked back.

Again, thanks!