logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meijin  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:56:09 PM(UTC)
meijin

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello all...really need some immediate help with my last issue in getting vMix to work correctly.

This is the way that I am using vMix. I am bringing someone in remotely via Skype and am using the desktop capture tool to grab the video. This is working. I will NOT be in the streamed show (audio or video) at all. It JUST the remote person always talking. And I am either showing him or images that I have loaded up. I will then be streaming this show as a live event on YouTube. All of this is working except for the audio. I just can't figure out the audio for the life of me. All I want to do is take the audio that is coming in with the video from Skype and make sure that it gets streamed to YouTube for the live event. That is it. And I can't get anything working at all. I am really under the gun to make this all work within the next day or two. So, any help that can be provided would be wonderful.

I am running the new v13 version of vMix.

Keeping in mind that I am new and will need specific instructions, could someone help me out?

Much thanks!
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:14:28 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

I know you've sent us some emails on this, but I will reply here instead.

vMix 13 with its new audio features allows the ability to bring in Skype calls, however
it has only just been released and we need some time to work on guides and videos for this and other features.

I will do my best to point you in the right direction here, however for detailed instructions you are going to have to wait
for our guides unfortunately.

Setup Guide

1. Ensure you have the latest version of vMix available from http://www.vmix.com.au/download.aspx

2. Purchase and install Virtual Audio Cable from http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

3. Go into the Virtual Audio Cable control panel (search for "Control Panel" in the start menu and look for the blue icon with yellow cable) and make sure the number of cables is set to 2 or more.

4. If you have Windows 7 make sure it is in "Aero" theme mode. For Windows 8 or higher this is not necessary.

5. Open up Skype and log in. Go to Tools -> Options

6. Under Audio Settings select Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable" as the Microphone and Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) as the Speaker

7. Open up vMix and go to Settings -> Audio Outputs. Select Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) under the "A" dropdown box.

8. Restart vMix. Make sure Skype is still running in the background and not minimised.

9. Go to Add Input and select Desktop Capture. Select This Computer and click OK.

10. From the Window dropdown box select Skype, Set frames per second to either 25 or 30 and tick Capture Hidden Window.

11. Click OK, and the skype window should appear in vMix.

12. Click Add Input again, select Audio Input and from the Audio Device dropdown select "Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)" and click OK.

13. In the bottom right hand corner of vMix click the Speaker Icon to bring up the Audio Mixer.

14. Underneath the Line 2 mixer untick the Two Arrow button and tick the Speaker icon to turn on the Skype audio.

15. Add another input into vMix that has some audio you can use for testing, this can be your own Microphone or a video clip.
Important: Any inputs added that you want to send back to the skype caller need the "A" box ticked underneath them in the Audio Mixer.

16. From the skype window make a test call to the "Echo / Sound Test Service". When the call connects you should hear the message prompt coming into vMix.
If not, double check all steps above including the audio configuration in Skype.

17. The test call will prompt to say something at the tone, this is when you can click Quick Play on your test audio input in vMix and
then stop it after a few seconds. The skype call should repeat it back to you if all is well.

Operation

Any inputs you want the Skype caller to hear should have the A button ticked in the Audio Mixer. If you only want the show viewers
to hear them, then untick A and tick M. If you only want the skype caller to hear and not the viewers, untick M and tick A.

Audio gets sent out to Skype using Line 1 on Bus A. Audio comes into vMix from Skype using the Line 2 input.

The audio setup needs to be configured this way to prevent delayed audio of the skype caller being heard by the caller which can be very distracting.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
pasingshot on 7/30/2014(UTC), imagebotique on 8/3/2014(UTC), apportum on 5/4/2015(UTC)
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:15:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I've renamed this topic too to make it easier for other users with the same question to find it.
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:14:33 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
As an alternative to Virtual Audio Cable you could use Voicemeeter or VB-Cable (both Donationware): http://vb-audio.pagesper...range.fr/Cable/index.htm
meijin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:31:11 AM(UTC)
meijin

Martin:

Thank you very much for the replay, it is really appreciated. I think I am almost there. Just a couple of things...

In this line of instructions:

"10. From the Window dropdown box select Skype, Set frames per second to either 25 or 30 and tick Capture Hidden Window."

I see nothing that says anything about Capture Hidden Window. I am going to try and insert a screen capture I did of that screen.

UserPostedImage

Inside of vMix it says I am running 13.0.0.141. From your download page it shows this as being the version available.

While I have not tried streaming this to YouTube Live Events, I do hear the female voice saying "trial" over and over again and it is showing up in the master audio level indicator.

Half of the Skype tested worked. It was grabbing the audio. But what is strange is that after installing VAC, I seem to have lost the ability to use my Logitech C920 microphone every where. It is not shown in vMix any place. Using built in audio when adding the Logitech does not bring the audio in and it is no longer available as an audio input at all in vMix or in Windows itself. Not sure what happened there. Should I try uninstalling this as a device and then then reinstalling?

Lastly, in could you give me some direction as to streaming this to YouTube Live Events so that the Skype audio is there? Is there anything special that needs to be done?

Thanks again for your help. vMix is a very cool and useful program. Once I get all of this figured out, I know that I'll be using it quite a bit.

thanks 1 user thanked meijin for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 3/6/2015(UTC)
admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:41:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

You will need to select the item called "This Computer" as your desktop capture source.

Not sure about the logitech microphone, you may need to reinstall their software.

Nothing special is needed for YouTube streaming, as long as you can hear everything out of your speakers/headphones
it should be heard on the stream.
meijin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:47:43 AM(UTC)
meijin

admin wrote:
You will need to select the item called "This Computer" as your desktop capture source.

Yep, that did the trick...thank you. Was using the different option. Using this option actually cleans up the window a bit as it does not show the task bar and the window frame on my other 24" monitor where it is running.

I guess the big test tomorrow (actually today for me LOL, it is about 3am already) will be the Skype call + streaming to YouTube.

Again, thank you and I'll keep you updated as to the results.

meijin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:34:16 PM(UTC)
meijin

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone interested...

I was able to get a friend to Skype video call me earlier today and was able to test things out. The screen capture was already working and the addition of the VAC program (even in trial mode) was a success! Brought everything in great and the audio was sync'ed with the video just fine. So, thank you SO much for that recommendation. Will be buying that program here shortly for our live show this weekend.

The only thing that wasn't 100% successful was the audio back to the Skype video caller. I went ahead and set up my Snowball Blue mic and configured things as originally directed. The Skype caller could not hear me unless I set that audio input device to select the "M" button. Using just the "A" button did not work. I don't know if it makes a difference as I didn't think to test it during the call, but the "double arrow" was also checked or selected. Either way, that is not a deal breaker for me. Getting the Skype audio and video out to the user was the biggest issue and that all seems to be working fine.

Thank you for the help. This is some great software (and believe me, I have tried them all). I am loving it more and more each time I use it.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:39:35 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Martin

On a somewhat related note:
Did a quick test on the above set-up and all seemed well on the Skype call audio mix minus (although I still need to do some more tests).
My issue was getting Skype to recognize vMix's video output properly. It didn't!
I've downloaded the most recent version of Skype (6.18.0.106) but for some reason it would not send or see vMix's output (choices in the dropdown menu, yes, but a frozen and jumbled video dislay).
Is there a particular setting that Skype prefers?
And although this is completely unrelated to vMix, is there no way to configure or control the Skype video (SD or HD)?
It seems my caller was sending a SD (640x480) and I asked if he could try the HD setting on his webcam but he couldn't figure out how to do that in the time we had to test.
In any event, I watched the most recent StudioTech episode featuring vMix 13, and your Skype feed appeared flawless Martin, well done!
I don't have any immediate needs for integrating Skype calls, but I would sure like to know how to get it right for when I do.

Ice
calamityjane  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:26:06 PM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

vMix 13 with its new audio features allows the ability to bring in Skype calls, however
it has only just been released and we need some time to work on guides and videos for this and other features.

I will do my best to point you in the right direction here, however for detailed instructions you are going to have to wait

Setup Guide

Martin
vMix

Hi Martin

Are these instructions still valid ? I ask only because I can't seem to get Skype to hear my voice.

In an emergency (ie a rush job with lack of planning) last night we did it the old fashion way; external computer with Desk Top Capture; hardwired audio out to vmix, and our studio person mic'd up with input to vmix. Had some feed back, so thought now, with the pressure off, could try to figure out this way to do it.

Thanks

Whit
calamityjane  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:57:42 AM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

This approach works great when I play a file as the audio in to Skype, but when I use the mic on my Logitech 920 webcam, no luck. Any hints ?

Thanks

Whit
Bardos  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:01:13 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

Setup Guide

1. Ensure you have the latest version of vMix available from http://www.vmix.com.au/download.aspx

2. Purchase and install Virtual Audio Cable from http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

3. Go into the Virtual Audio Cable control panel (search for "Control Panel" in the start menu and look for the blue icon with yellow cable) and make sure the number of cables is set to 2 or more.

4. If you have Windows 7 make sure it is in "Aero" theme mode. For Windows 8 or higher this is not necessary.

6. Under Audio Settings select Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable" as the Microphone and Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) as the Speaker

7. Open up vMix and go to Settings -> Audio Outputs. Select Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) under the "A" dropdown box.

8. Restart vMix. Make sure Skype is still running in the background and not minimised.

9. Go to Add Input and select Desktop Capture. Select This Computer and click OK.

10. From the Window dropdown box select Skype, Set frames per second to either 25 or 30 and tick Capture Hidden Window.

12. Click Add Input again, select Audio Input and from the Audio Device dropdown select "Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)" and click OK.

13. In the bottom right hand corner of vMix click the Speaker Icon to bring up the Audio Mixer.

14. Underneath the Line 2 mixer untick the Two Arrow button and tick the Speaker icon to turn on the Skype audio.

15. Add another input into vMix that has some audio you can use for testing, this can be your own Microphone or a video clip.
Important: Any inputs added that you want to send back to the skype caller need the "A" box ticked underneath them in the Audio Mixer.

16. From the skype window make a test call to the "Echo / Sound Test Service". When the call connects you should hear the message prompt coming into vMix.
If not, double check all steps above including the audio configuration in Skype.

17. The test call will prompt to say something at the tone, this is when you can click Quick Play on your test audio input in vMix and
then stop it after a few seconds. The skype call should repeat it back to you if all is well.

Operation

Any inputs you want the Skype caller to hear should have the A button ticked in the Audio Mixer. If you only want the show viewers
to hear them, then untick A and tick M. If you only want the skype caller to hear and not the viewers, untick M and tick A.

Audio gets sent out to Skype using Line 1 on Bus A. Audio comes into vMix from Skype using the Line 2 input.

The audio setup needs to be configured this way to prevent delayed audio of the skype caller being heard by the caller which can be very distracting.

I got this to work first try, no problems, and for some unknown reason, the video input into vMix dropped out, and I can not seem to figure out how to get it back....I had a very good image from my test partner, and I saw Skype in the vMix dropdown menu...now all I see is the person I am chatting with, but can not get the video section to show......any help will do
tnorrell  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:39:54 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thank you for the information George. I appreciate you sharing the results of your research. I have a couple of questions tough. You talked about the USB audio device, but I'm not sure I understand what you are accomplishing with it. Are you using the monitor out to feed your mixer, but using the USB audio channels as the source in skype? Wouldn't that mean that your guest couldn't hear any video assets from your vix? I'm also interested in finding out what was causing the feedback, and if you were able to resolve the sync issues.

Skype can be a huge resource hog, as you mentioned in your video. I would be leerily of running it on the same box as my switcher. I have a pretty beefy system that could handle it, but I'm trying to figure out how we can justify potentially impacting the stream. I'm looking forward to your follow up in a couple of weeks, about how well the solution has worked across a couple of productions.
apportum  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 2:41:12 AM(UTC)
apportum

Man

admin wrote:

Setup Guide

Operation

I have this working for the most part and working well. Thank you for the guidance, Martin, and for the referral to Virtual Audio Cable.

I am using a conventional headset and am running into a problem: hearing my words repeated as I speak.

Is there any way to stop this?

My Audio Output is set to "Default Windows Playback Device".

My Input from the headset microphone is set to the system sound device, "VIA High Definition HD".

Altogether, I have three Inputs: a) "Desktop Capture", b) "Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable", and c) "Microphone (VIA High Definition HD"). The "M", "A" and Speaker Icon are toggled ON on each of them. If it matters, I am running Windows 8.1 and vMixHD v15.0.0.7x64.

Any help in muting the headphone audio when I speak will be appreciated. Thank you.

Jerry
pinkimp  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:25:49 AM(UTC)
pinkimp

You'll hear yourself because you can hear the audio that vMix is sending out when you talk through your microphone if you're monitoring vMix audio.

I would check that under recording devices in Windows, the Microphone has 'Listen to this device" disabled (unchecked) - it should be, but just in case.

As you can use the additional Buses A & B, I would try assign the Bus B to a free, unused output (such as the ART, if it has an audio output option) in the Audio Output settings so you won't hear it yourself. It's simply going to send anything on Bus B to a mute output but vMix will still have the audio in the master mix if I remember correctly.

Restart vMix and then turn on Bus B on the Microphone so the stream can still hear you talk but you shouldn't be able to hear it since it's being output to a device that you're not listening to.
thanks 1 user thanked pinkimp for this useful post.
apportum on 5/8/2015(UTC)
apportum  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2015 1:38:01 PM(UTC)
apportum

Man

pinkimp wrote:
You'll hear yourself because you can hear the audio that vMix is sending out when you talk through your microphone if you're monitoring vMix audio.

I would check that under recording devices in Windows, the Microphone has 'Listen to this device" disabled (unchecked) - it should be, but just in case.

As you can use the additional Buses A & B, I would try assign the Bus B to a free, unused output (such as the ART, if it has an audio output option) in the Audio Output settings so you won't hear it yourself. It's simply going to send anything on Bus B to a mute output but vMix will still have the audio in the master mix if I remember correctly.

Restart vMix and then turn on Bus B on the Microphone so the stream can still hear you talk but you shouldn't be able to hear it since it's being output to a device that you're not listening to.

Thanks! I will check out your suggestions. They certainly make sense!

Jerry